Unable to connect to our home server. RRS feed

• Question

• I had the WHS Connector installed on my Windows XP SP3 laptop. My Dad has been using it at his office for the past couple months and today I decided to do some maintenance on it and install some programs off the server. I wasn't able to connect to it with the WHS Connector so I thought that I should reinstall. I copied the newest WHS Connector install onto a thumb drive from another computer on the network and tried to install it.

This is the error that I'm receiving:
    Unable to connect to your home server.

The following issues may cause this problem:
    - Your home server is not powered on.
    - A firewall on this computer is blocking the connection
    - A proxy server is configured on this computer for the network connection.

Unfortunately, none of these apply. I am able to ping my home server by using the IP address but cannot connect to it via the Microsoft Windows Network workgroup. (I had to change the workgroup from WORKGROUP to HOME when I got the laptop back from my Dad.)

Since then I've tried uninstalled SP3 (I've had issues with it in the past) and tried to connect to HOME under My Network Places.

This is the error message when I try to connect to HOME:
    Home is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

If there is any other information that is needed from me please let me know!

I've also tried this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913628

Saturday, December 6, 2008 10:33 PM

All replies

• Torein said:

I had the WHS Connector installed on my Windows XP SP3 laptop. My Dad has been using it at his office for the past couple months and today I decided to do some maintenance on it and install some programs off the server. I wasn't able to connect to it with the WHS Connector so I thought that I should reinstall. I copied the newest WHS Connector install onto a thumb drive from another computer on the network and tried to install it.

Unfortunately, none of these apply. I am able to ping my home server by using the IP address but cannot connect to it via the Microsoft Windows Network workgroup. (I had to change the workgroup from WORKGROUP to HOME when I got the laptop back from my Dad.)

Since then I've tried uninstalled SP3 (I've had issues with it in the past) and tried to connect to HOME under My Network Places.

Home is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

I've also tried this:

Are you able to ping it by name?  If not, did you ever modify the hosts file on your XP machine?
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 11:15 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Torein said:

I had the WHS Connector installed on my Windows XP SP3 laptop. My Dad has been using it at his office for the past couple months and today I decided to do some maintenance on it and install some programs off the server. I wasn't able to connect to it with the WHS Connector so I thought that I should reinstall. I copied the newest WHS Connector install onto a thumb drive from another computer on the network and tried to install it.

I've also tried this:

Are you able to ping it by name?  If not, did you ever modify the hosts file on your XP machine?

I'm unable to ping it by name. I'm not sure how to modify the host files.
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Torein said:

I'm unable to ping it by name. I'm not sure how to modify the host files.

Can you please open a command prompt on your XP machine and type:

ipconfig /all

(and also run that command from the server desktop as well)

Then can you post the results from both the XP machine and the WHS machine here?
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 11:34 PM