CRM 3.0 - Move to parent domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

we have a CRM installation on a server in dom1.topdomain.local , and all the existent crm users are from the same domain.
    The database is on another server in the same domain.

Now we need to add a business unit with users from a second child domain (dom2.topdomain.local) .
    Since the idea was not to modify default trust relationships between the child domains, we are planning to join the CRM server to the parent domain topdomain.local.
    This way the migration will consist only in removing the server from one domain and join it to the other, and we will be able to add users from the new child domain. Old users will be available in crm without needing migration since they will always be available to the parent domain.

That's at least what i hope, but i'm not sure everything will be that easy..
    is there anything i ignore or forget?

thanks for your help,

GiBiT
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:46 PM

Answers

• You cannot simply just join the current CRM Server to top domain.  You will have to do a redeployment of your CRM system into the Top domain so the redeployment process can create the needed AD groups in the top domain and add the current users to those new AD groups. 

The process will be slightly different based on if you have new servers to move to or you need to move the actual servers you are currently using.  My recommendation would be to have a separate set of servers set up so you do not have to take down your current production system until the new setup is up and running.  This allows you a failsafe recovery plan if anything goes wrong. 

The basic process will be to backup your databases.  Restore those databases on a new SQL server that is in the Top Domain.  Run the redeployment process on the New or Moved CRM Server (with CRM uninstalled) joined to the Top domain.   This will create the Ad groups as needed in the top domain. Then install CRM using the existing databases option on the New or Moved CRM server in the Top domain.  Then CRM should be up and running.

You will have a few other tasks related to redeployment that are covered in the implementation guide you will have to complete once you are done related to Outlook configuration reporting and other little updates.

I hope that helps.

Later
       Hoss

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:54 PM

All replies

• You cannot simply just join the current CRM Server to top domain.  You will have to do a redeployment of your CRM system into the Top domain so the redeployment process can create the needed AD groups in the top domain and add the current users to those new AD groups. 

The process will be slightly different based on if you have new servers to move to or you need to move the actual servers you are currently using.  My recommendation would be to have a separate set of servers set up so you do not have to take down your current production system until the new setup is up and running.  This allows you a failsafe recovery plan if anything goes wrong. 

The basic process will be to backup your databases.  Restore those databases on a new SQL server that is in the Top Domain.  Run the redeployment process on the New or Moved CRM Server (with CRM uninstalled) joined to the Top domain.   This will create the Ad groups as needed in the top domain. Then install CRM using the existing databases option on the New or Moved CRM server in the Top domain.  Then CRM should be up and running.

You will have a few other tasks related to redeployment that are covered in the implementation guide you will have to complete once you are done related to Outlook configuration reporting and other little updates.

I hope that helps.

Later
       Hoss

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Thanks very much Hoss,
    it was the info i needed right now, i'll start studying redeployment process and proceed the way you suggest,
    hope i'll make it on my own now! .-)

thanks
    GiBiT
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 1:59 PM