Sometimes when I drop files into a Sync'd folder, they just disappear? RRS feed

• Question

• This happened a lot before, but when I downloaded the update last month it seemed to go away.  I Sync a lot of photos (.jpg), so it happens with them.  Today I dropped 3 photos in one of my Sync'ed subfolders, and a minute later they just disappeared!  The action shows up in my Mesh 'recent news' - when I click on the photos from there it says they must have been moved or deleted!  They are just gone!

When this used to happen before, I could drag and drop the pictures over and over again and they would just keep on disappearing!  They don't show up on another computer that is sync'd either.

Help!

Jeff
    Monday, March 2, 2009 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hey Jeff,

This sounds really weird - and a great candidate for a bug! Instructions on how to file a bug and collect your logs (which will be extra important in your case) can be found in this post. Once you've submitted a bug please post a link or the Connect ID back here so that others can validate / track the bug.

If your files were not backed up, you could try looking in <user directory>\Application Data\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\HoldingArea.

Good Luck!

Oren
    Monday, March 2, 2009 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hey Jeff,

This sounds really weird - and a great candidate for a bug! Instructions on how to file a bug and collect your logs (which will be extra important in your case) can be found in this post. Once you've submitted a bug please post a link or the Connect ID back here so that others can validate / track the bug.

If your files were not backed up, you could try looking in <user directory>\Application Data\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\HoldingArea.

Good Luck!

Oren
    Monday, March 2, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

It is quite likely that the files are stuck in the Holding Area (see Oren's post above).  As for why they're getting stuck there all of a sudden: Please do submit a bug with your logs so that we can look into this.  If you then post the Connect Feedback ID here, I'll follow up on it internally.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:44 PM
  • It happened again to me yesterday:  I dropped 79 .Jpg photos into a relatively new sub-sub folder, I checked on them a half an hour later and they were there.  Now today, the 79 pictures and 80 other pics I already had in there are all gone!  I checked my other computer - same thing!  I am Meshed with a few other computers and those still have the original 80 pics but not the new ones - HELP!  I won't be able to continue to use MESH with this bug.

I just submitted my bug report and logs.  the feedback ID is 431649

Hopefully you guys can resolve this soon!  Thanks.

Jeff
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Have you checked if the files ended up in the Recycle Bin on the PC that they disappeared from?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Hey Jeff, thanks for the bug, if you get a chance please attach your Live Mesh logs to it so we can take a look at what's going on.

-ken
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:23 PM
  • All,
    I checked the recycle bin - they aren't in there.  I'm not certain if I emptied it yesterday or not.

I created a log file.  It is 58MB so I'm having a little trouble - the first upload failed.  I'm trying again.

Holy ____ - I just checked my holding area - the pics I am looking for aren't there, but there are 7,787 other files!  There was a time months ago when I had some .eml's in a mesh folder - before I knew about that bug - there are thousands of identical emails in there - is this a problem, should I clean these out or anything?

Thanks!
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:27 PM
  • Log file sucessfully uploaded!
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Thanks for uploading the logs after the Connect issue was fixed.
    I would think that you can safely delete the thousands of files in the holding area that are the email files.
    -steve
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Hey, any news on trying to fix this problem?
    Thanks,

Jeff
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:13 PM
  • The bug was probably triaged and forwarded to a developer internally, so now we'd wait for feedback on the findings or a request for more information from you. This will typically happen via Connect, though Ken might be able to jump in to give you an update here.
    -steve

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:46 PM
  • I'm having the *exact* same problem as Jeff was having.

I was having other issues with Mesh before, and they seemed to be resolved, but now files are magically disappearing -- sometimes right before my eyes! Literally!

No, they aren't going to the Recycle bin.

Yes, this has happened when only one computer is signed into Mesh, but the other computer is offline (and I'm not syncing to Live Desktop).

Luckily, I had copies of the missing files on a server, so I re-downloaded them, then literally a few minutes later, they vanished from the folder right before my eyes.

It's certainly Mesh doing something because I've tested this with having Mesh logged in and out. It only happens when logged into Mesh.

Did you (Jeff) or anyone else find a solution to this?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:10 PM
  • I'm having the *exact* same problem as Jeff was having.

I was having other issues with Mesh before, and they seemed to be resolved, but now files are magically disappearing -- sometimes right before my eyes! Literally!

No, they aren't going to the Recycle bin.

Yes, this has happened when only one computer is signed into Mesh, but the other computer is offline (and I'm not syncing to Live Desktop).

Luckily, I had copies of the missing files on a server, so I re-downloaded them, then literally a few minutes later, they vanished from the folder right before my eyes.

It's certainly Mesh doing something because I've tested this with having Mesh logged in and out. It only happens when logged into Mesh.

Did you (Jeff) or anyone else find a solution to this?

Thanks,
    Josh
    The Live Mesh team takes data loss very seriously - please file a bug report, Josh.
    One reason for disappearing files is that there is another Sync program running against the same folder(s).

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you probably won't get a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Ok, I've submitted my bug report.

Do you know how and when I'll know if it's safe to use Mesh again? Will someone let me know?

I want to use Mesh, but I'm afraid to login for fear of other files vanishing. Until then, I'm having to email files back and forth between computers. A real hassle (I tried Live Sync, but it won't login, so it's useless to me. What's up MS?).

Thanks,
    Josh
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Live Mesh should not be losing any data, so I can't tell you why you are having this issue. Hopefully, your logs will reveal an issue and you'll get a response on how to deal with it.

What do you mean that Live Sync won't log in? Live Sync was down overnight on 10/22 into 10/23 for maintenance and an upgrade.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:04 AM
  • As far as Mesh losing data, I'm starting to suspect it had something to do with only one folder. None of my other folders *seemed* to be losing data like this one folder in particular was.

As for Live Sync, I didn't realize it was down. I think that was the issue because now I've been able to log in fine.

I'm currently not using Mesh and only using Live Sync. I abandoned the "missing data" folder and have created a brand new folder from scratch. I re-downloaded those missing files (from Carbonite backup) to the new folder, and everytyhing seems fine so far.

Not sure which I like best: Mesh or Live Sync yet. I really only want to do P2P syncing between my PC and laptop. So in that sense, Live Sync seems perfect.

On the other hand, I like that Mesh can remotely log me in. However, I've traditionally used Logmein.com for this. It's always worked flawlessly.

Any suggestions as to what would be best for me? Security and ease of use are my main concerns at this point. Plus, didn't MS abandon FolderShare in favor of Live Sync? And now it looks like that might be abandoned for Mesh? Any clues on where MS is going with all this?

Thanks for any input and help,
    Josh
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Hi, Josh.
    Live Sync also allows remote connections, though not as easily as Live Mesh. That's a moot point, though, since you are using logmein.
    Live Mesh has one current advantage over Live Sync and that's the Live Desktop. If all you need is P2P, Live Sync is an easier alternative for you.
    The next release of the Windows Live Programs (Essentials) which includes Live Sync is rumored to be bringing Live Mesh and Live Sync together, perhaps also with SkyDrive for the Live Desktop functionality. All of this is speculation, of course. FolderShare became Live Sync. Live Sync is used by the Windows Live Toolbar and Windows Live Photo Gallery to sync Favorites and Photos, respectively.

Finally, Live Sync is a released product, while Live Mesh is a beta product right now.

-steve
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:44 PM