Money 2002 - Incorrect Password when moving file to Windows10 Laptop? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Honestly...I've looked and found this same problem on this forum many times but can't seem to find the answer anywhere!

I've used MSMoney 2002 Standard Edition for many years, most recently on a Windows7 Laptop.

I've successfully installed the software on my new Windows10 laptop but have tried both opening a direct copy of the *.mny file and from a back-up of the file on the W7 laptop and keep getting hit with the same error - "This file requires a password. Money will not open the file without the correct password"  I know the password I am typing is correct - I even tried removing the password from the W7 version and then copying it over but it still wants a password!

It's not linked in via my LIVE ID or anything - this is just a straight password to access the file. Am very confused.

I'm based in the UK and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:08 PM

Answers

• One reason for an "incorrect password" message is that the Money versions on the two laptops are different.  You may, for example, have upgraded the W7 laptop's version of Money and forgotten that you did that.  Money 2002 won't open a file created by a more recent version.

In Money on your W7 laptop, when you do Help>About, what version do you see?  If you really have Money 2002, it should be version 10.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by RibZed Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:21 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:25 AM

All replies

• Older versions (Money 2002 maybe) would give a bogus password error when the problem was that the Money file was actually from a newer version.  If you installed Money 2005 UK, you could try reading that file.

The password is case-sensitive. However it is very common for people to have upgraded to a later version without remembering doing that.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:23 AM
  • One reason for an "incorrect password" message is that the Money versions on the two laptops are different.  You may, for example, have upgraded the W7 laptop's version of Money and forgotten that you did that.  Money 2002 won't open a file created by a more recent version.

In Money on your W7 laptop, when you do Help>About, what version do you see?  If you really have Money 2002, it should be version 10.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by RibZed Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:21 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:25 AM
  • Bill/Cal

Many thanks for your responses and my apologies for wasting your time.

I was so convinced that I WAS on 2002 that I didn't even check the version on my W7 laptop....but clearly at some time I did move to Version14 (2005). You're right Bill, I'd totally forgotten doing it.

I've now installed 2005 and am up and running again. Time to consign that 2002 CD to the bin I think....

Appreciate you taking the time to help me out - thanks

Rich

Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:53 AM