Back up RRS feed

• Question

• I am running 2005 UK version. Backup for mymoney file stopped working but auto backup to the hard drive continued for some months. Now this has stopped working as well. In this latter case the backup progress box opens and says compressing the file. The progress line moves slowly to the mid point then stops. the program waits then closes. The back up created is only half the size it should be and cannot be used to restore because it becomes read only as well as being incomplete. If I turn off the read only using properties I get an error message if I try to open it.

Can you help please? I have changed nothing

RichardW

Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:54 PM

All replies

• The first step is to uninstall Money 2005, reboot and reinstall. This is the first step in resolving any malfunctioning program. You will need the installation program from the link in the second post in this forum.

Next, if reinstallation does not resolve the problem, run File Repair on your data file.

Are there any indications of other problems with your Windows system?

Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:05 PM
  • DominicP

Thank you. The reinstall has fixed the backup to hard drive but the backup to USB says failed or was cancelled. Is there anything else I could try please. I am trying to back up to a 64GB empty, formatted USB stick. The backup on the hard drive is 75MB in size

Richard

Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:09 PM
  • DominicP

Thank you. The reinstall has fixed the backup to hard drive but the backup to USB says failed or was cancelled. Is there anything else I could try please. I am trying to back up to a 64GB empty, formatted USB stick. The backup on the hard drive is 75MB in size

Richard

Use a USB drive that has less than 2 GB of free space. It is a  bug in Money 2005.

You can fill up extra space with stuff.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:09 PM
  • I have made some progress but have not yet solved the issue. I reformatted and restored to original settings a 490mb USB stick and tried it with the same result as before. I then copied onto the stick about 50mb of word documents and tried again. This time it tried to backup but failed in the same way that the hard drive back up used to fail before reinstallation.

The back up request box opens and asks if I want to back up to a floppy drive. I say yes and a new window opens on top of the request box. This says that money is compressing the file and the line showing progress gets to about half way then freezes. The progress box jumps to the left a small amount revealing the edge of the request box below it and a thick vertical black line appears on the right of the request box. The process terminates and the programme closes down.

Does this help with your diagnosis of the problem please?

Richard

Friday, April 1, 2016 10:40 AM
  • My Money 2005 UK creates an 8MB mbf file on a 32GB USB drive, formatted NTFS with over 20GB free space, without problems.

I think the problem is with your Windows installation, not with Money 2005.

Windows installations accumulate errors over time. A clean install of Windows is advised. Finding and resolving the errors - if you can identify them - is likely to take much longer.

Friday, April 1, 2016 1:49 PM
  • That sounds like good advice. The problems have only occurred since windows 8.1 and its various updates. Having read all the forums about problems with money when people have upgraded to windows 10, I am loath to do that. How can I reinstall window 8 or 8.1 please as the system was preinstalled by Acer and I have no disks?

Richard

Saturday, April 2, 2016 7:23 AM
  • There are no problems with Money for clean installs of Windows 10. Problems occur when systems with accumulated errors are upgraded to Windows 10.

You can clean install Windows 10:

1. Your Windows 8/8.1 product key should be embedded in your BIOS. You can retrieve it with Product KeyFinder.
    2. Check on Acer forums that your system does not include any devices for which there are no Windows 10 drivers. Also note whether you will need any chipset or other drivers not provided by Windows Update: Windows 8/8.1 drivers should work if there are no Windows 10 specific drivers.
    3. Check that your system has the latest BIOS and firmwares. These will be available on Acer Drivers and Manuals .
    4. Create Windows 10 installation media with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool .
    5. Back up your user data and settings. Be sure not to erase them when installing Windows.
    6. Clean install Windows 10. You can do this with your Windows 8/8.1 product key. Delete all the system partitions and select the empty space resulting as where to install.
    7. Run Windows Update, install any necessary drivers, reinstall your programs and recover your user data and settings.

If you prefer to stay with Windows 8.1, installation media can be created with Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool . You will have until 29th July to upgrade free to Windows 10.

Saturday, April 2, 2016 8:08 AM