Project server 2003 domain migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are moving a project server 2003 solution to a new domain, the solution is integrated with Axapta and we want to move the solution.

Therefore we would like some information about how to move the Project server 2003/ sharepoint part off the solution to the new domain?

Best regards

Torben

Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hello Torben,

You are moving it. It's just that you still have to install the binary bits for the new domain and the provisioning is going to the SQL server to access the project server database.

Some other things I didn't spell out explicity, the SQL Server databases will need accounts that are recognized in new domain and once you get connected and running, you will have to clean up the user profiles, because their NT login accounts will be pointing to the old domain, etc.

Please test.  I know there are many more details that may need working thru.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hello toni76ab

I haven't seen any documentation on this; not to say it doesn't exist.   In your search, you may be more successful in searcing for SharePoint related versus Project Server.

A general workflow of how to do this is. I would do is install SharePoint in the new domain if it doesnt exist, and then install Project Server 2003 in the new domain.  When you provision project server, point to the copies of project server databases.  Then move your sharepoint content databases over containing the project server workspaces.

Make sure all the SP are up-t-date.

Be sure to test and document before going down this road. 

Cheers!

Michael

www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Thanks Michael,

So the way to go is to make new installations that is on the  same level as existing installation (sp...) and the restore the restore the databases from the old domain on it.

it wouldent be possible to just move the existing installation to the new domain without reinstalling the solution?

Cheers!

Torben

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Hello Torben,

You are moving it. It's just that you still have to install the binary bits for the new domain and the provisioning is going to the SQL server to access the project server database.

Some other things I didn't spell out explicity, the SQL Server databases will need accounts that are recognized in new domain and once you get connected and running, you will have to clean up the user profiles, because their NT login accounts will be pointing to the old domain, etc.

Please test.  I know there are many more details that may need working thru.

Cheers

www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:19 PM