Media Player Library Disappears While It's Building RRS feed

• Question

• I can't get my media library to build and display in Media Player from my Home Server 2011. I am not trying to stream music, just access it from the server as shared files.

Everything starts off seeming to work just fine. After I specify the WHS media directory in Media Player, it starts to build the library and album art starts to appear. It builds quite a large collection of albums. But at some point in the process, with no visible errors, all the media information just disappears leaving the library empty with the message that there are no items in the library. If I restart the process, just repeats the same process with the same results.

I've tried following directions found in other forums to delete the files in the %localappdata%\microsoft\media player directory which is supposed to fix problems with a corrupted library. But the the same thing just happens again and again and on multiple PCs. And it happens on both 32- and 64-bit Windows 7. The same clients with the same server based music files and Media Player worked from the old WHS server I am trying to retire. So it seems to be something I am doing wrong in WHS 2011 since the WHS server is really the only difference.

I have double checked that the users have read access. And I can open a file from explorer and it will play. Can anyone offer any insight as to what might cause the problem and how to fix it?

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:11 PM

All replies

• Does the issue occur while using WMP on the WHS server? Can you import several video clips instead of all of them?

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response.

What do you mean by using WMP on the WHS server? Maybe I am setting this up wrong. I've never seen anything show up like your screen shot shows with the home server appearing as a separate entry under other libraries. I've always set this up so it just appears as part of my "regular" library. Basically, I am trying to set it up the same way it worked with my old WHS.

And I have not tried building a smaller subset of my server based library yet. But I will if the tests I am doing now fail. I had tried copying a few files to the local drive and built a library successfully. But that was only a few songs. That worked until I added back the server folders at which point everything, including the local files, disappeared from the library.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:54 PM
  • I'm pretty sure I am hitting a bug that has nothing to do with the WHS. But I also found a work-around for my situation so I thought I'd share.

Even after running the trouble-shooter for WMP and related steps, my system continued to crashed every time I tried to rebuild the library when the CurrentDatabase_###.wmdb file in %localappdata%\microsoft\media player got over roughly 200mb. 

But I accidentally found that if I break the build process up into chunks and stop adding files when I get to around 200mb, I have to stop and let the PC run overnight. After doing this, in addition to the CurrentDatabase_###.wmdb file, I will also have a couple of LocalMLS_#.wmdb files and a wmpfolders.wmdb file.

And once those files appear, I can add all remaining music and pictures to the library in one step without crashing. But when if I let the CurrentDatabase_###.wmdb file grow beyond the first 200mb before those files get created, I crash every time.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:56 PM