Importing a new .wma file and generating new chords for the new .wma (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• songsmithrichard posted on 09-09-2009 9:24 AM

Is there anyway I can re-edit the XML file using Office Excel (.songsmith unzipped creates a wma file and an xml file) to tell Songsmith to generate new chords to the new .wma?

I was successfully able to unzip the .songsmith file, replace the .wma with a new .wma, and then re-zip the files.  The new .songsmith file with the new .wma inside of it played back fine on Songsmith.

The only problem is when I use this method to start a song with a completely new .wma I still get all the old chords for the old .wma file that has been replaced.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 09-21-2009 11:59 PM

Did you try moving the "Happy" and "Jazzy" sliders around?  That will force Songsmith to generate new chords.  Note that the _key_ of the song is fixed the first time you record a song, so if you want to stick an existing wma file into a .songsmith file, make sure you pick one in the same key as the .wma file. 

Alternatively, since you're already editing the .xml file, you can use the field "SongKey" to specify the key for your new recording.  "SongKey="0"" specifies the key of C, "SongKey="1"" specifies the key of C#, "SongKey="2"" specifies the key of D, etc. all the way up to "SongKey="11"", which specifies the key of B.

Hope that helps... you're deep into "officially unsupported" features, but I think this should get you to where you're trying to go!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:21 PM