Filesystem Sync - Robust Copy RRS feed

• Question

• Please forgive what may seem to be a newbie question...

I am developing an application that consolidates removable storage devices to physical disk storage. I am using Sync Framework as the basis for the heavy lifting and building the UI in C#.

Due to the nature of the data and the application, I need to be as close to 100% sure that the copy has succeeded as possible when the copy has completed. The system is currently working as expected, however I have not done any testing for error conditions yet where a card filesystem may not be consistent.

Can any more experienced developers suggest ways of implementing the framework that allows for the user to be presented with some tangible data / metadata that can confirm beyond any shadow of doubt that the copy has succeded successfully or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Again, please forgive if the question is in anyway unclear.

Cheers,

mark.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:14 AM

All replies

• can you not do a file count/directory listing comparing file sizes and hashes ?
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:15 PM
  • Yes, probably, but do I have to create hashes for both sides of the equation or can this be done as part of the sync process?

Ideally, I would like to be able to complete the copy operation (with hash creation) by iterating through the source device only once.

• Edited by edwar64896 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:11 PM
  • subscribe to the file sync provider's DetectedChanges and AppliedChanges events. the former gives you the files detected as changed, the latter tells you what files has been applied.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:48 AM