none
forums devalued by question incorrectly marked as answered by ... RRS feed

• Question

• I have been a TechNet subscriber for just over a year now, mainly a lurker, but one of the problems I run in frequently is that questions are incorrectly marked as answered.  This most often happens when someone (MVP, MS, Mod) answers the question, and then marks the answer he or she gave as "answered".  Basically the answer contains some copy & paste canned response that slightly pertains to the subject and folks then run off to mark it as answered (to pad their stats?).

I don't have a specific example right now, suffice to say that I noticed this often enough for me to actually make a post about it.

What IMHO needs to be done to rectify this issue is prevent people from marking their own post as answer to a question.  Either the person who asked the question can mark a reply as answer, or any other community member can, but not the person who gave the answer.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• This happens in some forums and not in others where the MS support people are more civilized and less interested in marking their own posts as answers.

There are in fact two similar problems

a) people who have the right to mark a post as an answer who use that right to mark their own posts as answers.

b) people who don't have the right so mark a post as an answer so they post a reply and immediately *propose* their own post as an answer.

There are many threads here asking for b) to be made impossible in the forum software because it happens in every forum. Asking for a) to be made impossible hasn't come here as often because - as I wrote above - in some forums the MS support people (and other Moderators) are not so eager to grab answer points for themselves.

As long as Microsoft use the number of answers made by a person as a simple judgement on how well that person is working the forums, such problems will persist. (It applies more to MS people than to other Moderators though.)

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:27 AM
  • Maybe we should let everyone post answers and let the poster and community decide the value?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:01 AM
    Answerer
  • I have been a TechNet subscriber for just over a year now, mainly a lurker, but one of the problems I run in frequently is that questions are incorrectly marked as answered.  This most often happens when someone (MVP, MS, Mod) answers the question, and then marks the answer he or she gave as "answered".  Basically the answer contains some copy & paste canned response that slightly pertains to the subject and folks then run off to mark it as answered (to pad their stats?).

I don't have a specific example right now, suffice to say that I noticed this often enough for me to actually make a post about it.

It has toned down considerably in the places I lurk.    Thank you.

The avatars could still use a little work...

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:53 AM
  • Maybe we should let everyone post answers and let the poster and community decide the value?

That in effect is what we non-MS Moderators have been asking for a long time.

Amend the forum software to

- make it impossible for people to propose their own posts

- make it impossible for people to mark their own posts as answers (unless they are the OP)

As long as Proposing posts is still possible, non-Moderators (="community") should propose the good answers of other people than themselves and Moderators should then be able to upgrade such proposed posts to answer status.

(It's utopian to give that right only to the OP because the majority of OPs don't bother marking posts that answer their questions even if they write a reply saying "Thanks, that solved my problem". So Moderators still are needed in order for proposed posts to be upgraded if they answer the question.)

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:28 AM