none
Answering Questions or Proposal of answers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

As per the forum general guide lines and rules, I think we should not mark our own reply as proposed Answer or the reply to our post as Answer.

If my above statement is correct

Then

Why we are seeing these available for the posts. Can this be disabled.

else

Please ignore this post.

Nothing is Permanent... even Knowledge....
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:07 PM

Answers

• Proposed answer is and should often be used by "anyone" in the community to let people know their reply was an attempted answer, as opposed to a general reply. It then allows moderators to filter by these, analyze these attempts and confirm them if valid. Proposed answers do not get users points. It is simply a tool to enable users that don't have moderator rights to contribute beyond the generic reply. We are considering changes to q/a in the coming year, the goals being more helpful community contributions, so we will likely be rethinking how q/a, proposed and voting works in the system.

I usually use proposed so the OP understands I am trying to answer their question, helping them get closer to marking my reply as a real answer. If they don't after a while, I'll just self mark it, as I don't care as much about the points sometimes than just closing the loop, at least when I know I'm right (which happens from time to time).

Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:30 AM
  • Self proposing doesn't look good. If a question has got a proposed answer, many people (including me) skip that question assuming a correct answer is proposed. But, if I look into the thread, the answer is self proposed. That means, he himself thought his answer is correct but nobody else !!

Ok, if the answer is 100% correct, then self proposing is fine. But, I have seen many people who simply propose their own answers. So, overall, I think, this feature should be turned off.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

Interesting idea.

Reasons to self propose:

1 - You want the asker to know that you're trying to answer the question. So you want your suggestion to be seriously considered and tried ASAP (versus having the asker not try it and keep getting frustrated).

2 - Nobody else is proposing your answer. You replied to try to answer it. Time has gone by, nobody proposed your answer and nobody marked it as an answer. Rather than feel like you wasted your time (and possibly give up on the forums), you propose it as an answer to try to get a moderator or the asker to notice it and thus mark it as the answer.

3 - You don't want to leave it unanswered. Similar to #2, you tried answering the question and nobody is proposing your answer, marking it as an answer, offering an additional answer, or offering more details about why your answer doesn't apply. The Asker has obviously moved on, and you don't want it in the list of unanswered questions when you obviously tried to answer it. So you mark it as a proposed answer so that you can focus on the questions that are still unanswered.

4 - Your post got moved (especially into the "Off Topic" forum). If you tried to answer a question, and your post got moved (such as into the Off Topic forum), then you might want to propose it as an answer just because that makes those posts (that actually have an answer in that forum) easier to find... and thus are more likely candidates to ever be moved into the correct forum.

===============

Reasons to not self propose:

1- You don't want others to not look at the question. As Adavesh mentioned, people who are trying to answer questions might skip it because they think it might have already been answered. However, as a counter step, the Asker, Moderator, or Proposer, can unpropose a proposed answer. So if the Asker really cares, they can clear the status so that this isn't an issue.

2 - You don't get Achievement credit and medals for it. I wouldn't make it a habit of self proposing. As in Naomi's link above, these two people who self proposed (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/e454b2c4-04c6-4d5a-8c5b-8920866ee7c4) have made it so that they don't get credit toward a "Proposed Answerer" achievement. For example, for the Proposed Answerer 2 Silver Achievement medal, they need to be proposed by other community members 500 times. They'll never get there if they propose their own answers. (Granted that this might not be a big deal to many people.)

3 - The community doesn't really like it. It's obvious from conversations like this forum post (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Profile/thread/01fe255a-c18c-489d-86e8-7fbe88630c3e/) that you shouldn't constantly self propose simply because lots of people dislike the behavior. Generally you want the community to favor your behavior. Because of this and the above reasons, I would limit self-proposing to the conditions set above in the "Reasons to self propose" section.

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Monday, October 3, 2011 5:04 PM
    Owner

All replies

• The second part of your first phrase is not clear. If you started a thread, then it's a good idea to mark answers that answered it.

As for proposing own answers, it's better to avoid using this feature. I'm not even sure of a situation when self-proposing will serve any good purpose. 

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:24 AM
  • I self-propose (purely to make a point) when "certain" people on the forums consistently propose their own answers, regardless of whether their answer is correct or far from correct.
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:57 AM
  • I think it should still be possible to mark own replies as answer.

My argument: I like it, when someone who finally found an answer comes back and writes down a clear and easy to understand solution This could include parts of multiple replies. Sometimes nobody wrote a clear answer to a problem but with multiple helpfull replies the problem was finally solved.

I saw such threads in the past and it would have been a shame if this option would be removed through business rules.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:29 AM
  • I think this feature should be removed.

My Argument

I have seen many people propose their own replies as answers when in fact their reply was far from it; even laughable.

Some moderators and posters don't unmark proposed answers if they are wrong giving other readers the false impression that an incorrect reply was actually a valid reply. This can confuse readers, waste time when researching solutions, and lead to dissemination of invalid solutions.

It is my opinion that one of the main reason why people propose their own replies as answers is so that their reply gets listed as "Contributed a helpful post" when it shouldn't as it was them marking it useful, not the OP or other thread readers.

If you can't mark your own replies as helpful, why should you be able to propose them as answers?

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Hi Jeff

I fully agree with your argument and Surendra. In my opinion it is better that the moderators are proponents of responses as valid responses when no one has scored. Not that everyone is qualifying car.

Jaime

Friday, August 12, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I guess self-marking could be useful, but I don't think I would ever use it, unless nobody is being active on that particular thread. It wouldn't be wise to remove this feature, anyway, since you could see who marks what post as an answer.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Proposed answer is and should often be used by "anyone" in the community to let people know their reply was an attempted answer, as opposed to a general reply. It then allows moderators to filter by these, analyze these attempts and confirm them if valid. Proposed answers do not get users points. It is simply a tool to enable users that don't have moderator rights to contribute beyond the generic reply. We are considering changes to q/a in the coming year, the goals being more helpful community contributions, so we will likely be rethinking how q/a, proposed and voting works in the system.

I usually use proposed so the OP understands I am trying to answer their question, helping them get closer to marking my reply as a real answer. If they don't after a while, I'll just self mark it, as I don't care as much about the points sometimes than just closing the loop, at least when I know I'm right (which happens from time to time).

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:30 AM

Hi Brent

" We are considering changes to q/a in the coming year" 

And what has happened to date was published September 1, you stretch the term so much?

Jaime

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Nothing has happened to the Sept 1st date - it is solely to do with publishing information on how achievements and points are earned. Brent is referring to Forum features, not recognition.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Thank Sean

Glad to read that, even if I have misunderstood.

Jaime

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:25 PM
  • Hi All

As per the forum general guide lines and rules, I think we should not mark our own reply as proposed Answer or the reply to our post as Answer.

If my above statement is correct

Then

Why we are seeing these available for the posts. Can this be disabled.

else

Please ignore this post.

Nothing is Permanent... even Knowledge....

There are cases where it would make sense to propose your own post as the answer (nobody is proposing it, the asker isn't returning, and you want to close the thread and move on), or even to mark your own reply as the answer to your question (I asked, nobody answered, I found the answer, I posted the answer and can now close my own question).

Regardless, this is reflected in both the Achievements and the Recognition Points. The Proposed Answerer achievements only come when someone else proposes your reply as the answer. So appropriate safegaurds were made for people who want to cheat the system.

I hope this helps!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, September 30, 2011 10:21 PM
    Owner
  • I think sometimes the self-proposed feature is abused. Say, here is a fresh example

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/e454b2c4-04c6-4d5a-8c5b-8920866ee7c4

Even though it's an answer, why self-propose? I noticed several recent self-proposed answers by this user.

My blog
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Self proposing doesn't look good. If a question has got a proposed answer, many people (including me) skip that question assuming a correct answer is proposed. But, if I look into the thread, the answer is self proposed. That means, he himself thought his answer is correct but nobody else !!

Ok, if the answer is 100% correct, then self proposing is fine. But, I have seen many people who simply propose their own answers. So, overall, I think, this feature should be turned off.

Monday, October 3, 2011 6:39 AM

Interesting idea.

Reasons to self propose:

1 - You want the asker to know that you're trying to answer the question. So you want your suggestion to be seriously considered and tried ASAP (versus having the asker not try it and keep getting frustrated).

2 - Nobody else is proposing your answer. You replied to try to answer it. Time has gone by, nobody proposed your answer and nobody marked it as an answer. Rather than feel like you wasted your time (and possibly give up on the forums), you propose it as an answer to try to get a moderator or the asker to notice it and thus mark it as the answer.

3 - You don't want to leave it unanswered. Similar to #2, you tried answering the question and nobody is proposing your answer, marking it as an answer, offering an additional answer, or offering more details about why your answer doesn't apply. The Asker has obviously moved on, and you don't want it in the list of unanswered questions when you obviously tried to answer it. So you mark it as a proposed answer so that you can focus on the questions that are still unanswered.

4 - Your post got moved (especially into the "Off Topic" forum). If you tried to answer a question, and your post got moved (such as into the Off Topic forum), then you might want to propose it as an answer just because that makes those posts (that actually have an answer in that forum) easier to find... and thus are more likely candidates to ever be moved into the correct forum.

===============

Reasons to not self propose:

1- You don't want others to not look at the question. As Adavesh mentioned, people who are trying to answer questions might skip it because they think it might have already been answered. However, as a counter step, the Asker, Moderator, or Proposer, can unpropose a proposed answer. So if the Asker really cares, they can clear the status so that this isn't an issue.

2 - You don't get Achievement credit and medals for it. I wouldn't make it a habit of self proposing. As in Naomi's link above, these two people who self proposed (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/e454b2c4-04c6-4d5a-8c5b-8920866ee7c4) have made it so that they don't get credit toward a "Proposed Answerer" achievement. For example, for the Proposed Answerer 2 Silver Achievement medal, they need to be proposed by other community members 500 times. They'll never get there if they propose their own answers. (Granted that this might not be a big deal to many people.)

3 - The community doesn't really like it. It's obvious from conversations like this forum post (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Profile/thread/01fe255a-c18c-489d-86e8-7fbe88630c3e/) that you shouldn't constantly self propose simply because lots of people dislike the behavior. Generally you want the community to favor your behavior. Because of this and the above reasons, I would limit self-proposing to the conditions set above in the "Reasons to self propose" section.

Monday, October 3, 2011 5:04 PM
    Owner
  • In regards to #2, how can we see the Stats? I assume that my posts have been proposed ~500 times by other members.

My blog
    Monday, October 3, 2011 5:14 PM
  • In regards to #2, how can we see the Stats? I assume that my posts have been proposed ~500 times by other members.

My blog

You can't currently. I know that Sean and the team are working on making the Answer stats available by end of October, but I don't know if Proposed Answers are on that list of what they'll release. I'd recommend starting a new thread with that question.

Also, my answer above has been turned into a Wiki article here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4865.aspx

Thanks!

Monday, October 3, 2011 5:41 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Jeff,

Very valid point!

Thanks

Naushad

Friday, March 9, 2012 10:59 PM
  • I agree completely that you should propose your own answers, if in fact you believe them to be the answer.  I see it as an effective way to help differentiate between people just responding with questions/comments versus those that are actually answering the question.

If there was a clear visual deliniation between responses that are questions/comments versus those that are proposed as the answer, like StackOverflow, then there would be no need to even have a "propose as answer" feature.  Just let people that think it is the answer do it justice through up-votes.

- Rob

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:32 PM
  • I agree completely that you should propose your own answers, if in fact you believe them to be the answer.  I see it as an effective way to help differentiate between people just responding with questions/comments versus those that are actually answering the question.

If there was a clear visual deliniation between responses that are questions/comments versus those that are proposed as the answer, like StackOverflow, then there would be no need to even have a "propose as answer" feature.  Just let people that think it is the answer do it justice through up-votes.

- Rob

Though I see your point I am strongly opposed to self-propose as it is being used in these forums.

Suppose a moderator sees a thread with a proposal and decides to view the thread. If the proposal was made by a third party then there is a very good chance that the moderator will see a response worthy of being marked as answer. If it was a self-propose, the chance is close to zero in my experience. So self-propose just creates false positives which distract moderators.

In the forums that I frequent, there is very little self-proposal, except for a few individuals who always always propose their post as answer.

Personally, I would get rid of Propose as Answer altogether. Mark as Answer and Vote are sufficient, IMHO.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Monday, September 8, 2014 6:31 PM
  • It would be nice if more moderators commented on this thread with their opinions.  Afterall, it's really their opinions that matter the most.  Although Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog,Twitter, Wiki) agrees with self-proposing, so maybe that's good enough as the voice of the moderators.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:53 PM