External Hard Drive BAck up Settings RRS feed

• Question

•  

I do not want to convert my external hard drive disk to NFTS. How do I leave it in FAT since I have two otehr computers that are not Vista ones?

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:30 AM

Answers

• If you are using Centralized backup for all PCs in your Circle to backup to an external drive connected to a hub machine, it needs to be NTFS. If you are only backing up a single PC to an external drive, you can ignore the suggestion to change it to NTFS.

NTFS is not unique to Vista, by the way.

-steve

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:42 PM

All replies

• If you are using Centralized backup for all PCs in your Circle to backup to an external drive connected to a hub machine, it needs to be NTFS. If you are only backing up a single PC to an external drive, you can ignore the suggestion to change it to NTFS.

NTFS is not unique to Vista, by the way.

-steve

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:42 PM
  • Stephen - how do you stop 1 CARE trying to convert your external drive to NTFS.  My drive is FAT32,  but 1 CARE  automatically wants to convert it, and fails each time.   thanks
    Friday, October 10, 2008 5:01 PM
  • It should not try to convert it, it should only offer to convert it. You should be able to cancel the request when the prompt appears and you won't be asked again. The only time that you'd need to make it NTFS would be for a network Share/Centralized Backup.

-steve

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:30 PM