MS CRM 2011 IFD Configuration error: Type is not resolved for member 'Microsoft.Crm.CrmException RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends,

When I try to configure claims based authentication and select my federation service xml and security certificate and then click apply. It throws an error and the MMC snap in crashes. It throws this error message "Exception Message: Type is not resolved for member 'Microsoft.Crm.CrmException". I thought the problem was with my security certificate and created a silf signed certificate on the server and then tried the claims based configuration again and it all went ok without any problems. I contacted the provider of my security certificate and explained my problem to them but they say it has got nothing to do with the security certificate. Does any body has any experience of this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nemath

Nemath
    Friday, May 20, 2011 8:36 AM

Answers

• My guess is that your certificate issuer is wrong and that the error is due to the length of the Certificate Name.

I struggled with exactly the same symptom on the weekend before finding the following KB Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2496441

The (Fully Qualified) Certificate Name cannot exceed 128 characters, as the 'Name' column in the 'Certificates' table in the Deployment Database (MSCRM_CONFIG) is defined as NVARCHAR(128).

Unfortunately for you, me and anyone who picked the wrong certificate issuer, our Certificates are incompatible with the Claims-based Authentication configuration process as it currently stands.

I created a Change Request in Microsoft Connect because a) it would be easy to fix (ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN) and b) it is going to affect anyone attempting to configure Claims-based authentication and happens to be unlucky enough to pick the wrong certificate issuer (something you aren't going to know before starting this process).

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by Nemath86 Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:19 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:20 AM

All replies

• My guess is that your certificate issuer is wrong and that the error is due to the length of the Certificate Name.

I struggled with exactly the same symptom on the weekend before finding the following KB Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2496441

The (Fully Qualified) Certificate Name cannot exceed 128 characters, as the 'Name' column in the 'Certificates' table in the Deployment Database (MSCRM_CONFIG) is defined as NVARCHAR(128).

Unfortunately for you, me and anyone who picked the wrong certificate issuer, our Certificates are incompatible with the Claims-based Authentication configuration process as it currently stands.

I created a Change Request in Microsoft Connect because a) it would be easy to fix (ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN) and b) it is going to affect anyone attempting to configure Claims-based authentication and happens to be unlucky enough to pick the wrong certificate issuer (something you aren't going to know before starting this process).

--pogo (pat) @ pogo69.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by Nemath86 Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:19 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:20 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. You are right in saying some certificates do not work with CRM 2011. The one that did noit work for me was from GeoTrust. So do not buy Geotrust certificates as they do not work with crm 2011. I bought one wildcard domain certificate from godaddy.com and it worked in the end.

Thanks again

Nemath

Nemath
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:20 PM