none
Using TechNet Forums RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a conversation with John Wink's team at the forum to get answers to the horrible results of the May Cumulative Updates.  When I open my account each of the past thirteen days, I somehow expect to see notifications about new responses my POSTS, such as the person who is helping me, personally, through troubleshooting steps.  She asks me questions, has me run tests, and I answer her questions, ask new questions, and send results.  Where is this information? Why do I have to go to browsing history (my choice) to find the forum and then scroll through the posts (or use Find) to see my conversations.  I am not using the forum to earn badges, for godssake, I have been trying for thirteen days to FIX MY COMPUTER.

Get me out of this mess - stop awarding me useless and unwanted stuff and just tell me where to find new messages or new responses from the moderators, because I wrote last night and I checked this morning.  Why does my file with the RSS feed icon say that the latest reply is from two days ago, not this morning?  How do I use my bloody account, if not to collect messages?

Thank you.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can track your own activity here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Profile/noah881/activity

This should be a direct link to the thread you're asking about.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/70123965-4f58-45e4-b6ad-0f9f77f70af5/kb3156387-th1-and-kb3156421-th2-may-cumulative-updates-any-feedback?forum=win10itprogeneral

You can also configure email alerts by going in left pane Quick Access\My Settings

Also note there were major problems with forums application for almost a week ending last Thursday or so.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 30, 2016 10:57 PM
  • Excellent response, Dave Patrick,

The problem with this forum is that a specific issue was addressed here to which there are many different reactions.  I don't want recognition - this isn't a game.  I need help fixing something that MS broke. This is the wrong place (forum) for the kinds of conversations we are actually having, though. 

Do I understand correctly, though, that if I configure alerts, I will get everything posted?  What do I do when I only want Stephanie's answers to my questions (it's a conversation)? 

Your links look different than mine and your info is clearer.

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 10:32 PM
  •   I need help fixing something that MS broke. This is the wrong place (forum) for the kinds of conversations we are actually having, though. 

Not sure what is meant. If there is a better forum you could ask a moderator to move it.

Do I understand correctly, though, that if I configure alerts, I will get everything posted?  What do I do when I only want Stephanie's answers to my questions (it's a conversation)? 

When you have alerts configured then by default each thread you contribute to will set the Alert flag so you will get an email notice someone has added to thread. (you can also turn it off selectively but not in bulk)

Your links look different than mine and your info is clearer.

Thank you.

This could be a branding thing that makes it render differently, but without your link it is a guess.

edit: this is the forums web view. sounds like you may have been reading the RSS feed which may have been the only thing working for most of a week

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Regarding the "branding" mentioned by Dave, here is the TechNet url for your profile activities:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/noah881/activity

It is similar information, but with the "TechNet" rather than "MSDN" branding. I don't know why they differ, but the msdn version was recently upgraded to show points earned. In either case, this only shows threads where you have participated. On almost any forums page you can see this by selecting "My threads" in the "Quick access" pulldown menu in the upper left.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:19 AM