Desktop Enhancement RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys i just thought sharing something exciting here.. I found some of the tools for my XP SP2 which enhance the performance.. and they are really cool... I would like everyone to share their part so that we all are informed of whatz new..

So today only i found this in papers.. Microsoft is out with a desktop search utility for XPsp2 also just like in VISTA
    Its free and avaliable at www.microsoft.com\windows\desktopsearch

I just used it and its great.... Try it out, you wont regret..

Also  I m using Google desktop from lot of time and it is also great.. there are many gadgets available with the Google desktop to enhance the utility, Like i have a workspace utility in the desktop,

Also tell me the similar utilities that you all are using and also which gadgets you all are using....
    Friday, June 8, 2007 6:20 AM

Answers

• I dont use any gadget. I feel that they come in my way of using the PC, and also use memory.

But i think that search util from MS is a good thing, but also as i am using my pc all the time, indexing can be done only during night time. And during night time my PC is busy with downoading and uploading, so there will be much load for the hdd.

But thats my viewpoint, people have different viewpoint. So dont take my viewpoint as an advice or any conclusion.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 7:38 AM
  • Indexing is not a problem, its done by the software on its own at the back.. And that too only initial indexing takes a time, after that, every time you create a file, its indexed at that time only...

Also indexing in the MS software is integrated with the OS some how, I had switched of the indexing service of the harddisk, so the software didnt indexed that hard disk,
    I had to reactivate it to index that hard disk, Also i saw that indexing was much faster than the Indexing done by the Google Desktop, and the search results that this software shows is much much better in looks than the Google desktop search result view,

The interface is also very good... try it out once, you will love it.. Its very small and dosen take a lot of memory too, as it gets integrated with the OS.... I think its a better option to Google desktop search engine...
    Friday, June 8, 2007 8:28 AM
  • Yes man i know about it, but i just dont like the overhead of indexing each file i create .
    If you are advising i will surely try it now Smile and let you know how i liked about it. But i am not goingto keep it much longer, i dont like extra mess Smile Even i dont keep any messengers in the startup. I open them as and when i like, i have also disabled many of the services Smile
    Friday, June 8, 2007 8:52 AM
  • And one more thing Varun, i would like to correct the link that you posted. It seems that you have also affected by the admins. They also did the same in the referrals link that they send, instead of using '/' they used '\' and so did you. hehe Not a problem though, here is the link again , if incase anyone is just lazy to type it out, click here 

Friday, June 8, 2007 8:55 AM
  • Also i have 32KB badsectors in one of my partition, so i dont want it to access those portions without my permission Stick out tongue

I am installing the software while i am writing this post Wink
    Friday, June 8, 2007 8:57 AM
  • Even i use to keep the services switched off, but now when i upgraded the ram from 128 to 512, I keep the services which would enhance my work, so no need to be that choosy now, hv the memory to maintain it now..
    Friday, June 8, 2007 11:41 AM
  • Hey man i tried that Windows desktop Search. Seems nice, It does increase the search speed. But it was using the space of my taskbar Stick out tongue hehe , I dont like extra services running. For all people who have more ram, and dont worry the search bar on the taskbar, tis a must use software.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 12:11 PM
  • really tweaky!!
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 5:19 AM

All replies

• I dont use any gadget. I feel that they come in my way of using the PC, and also use memory.

But i think that search util from MS is a good thing, but also as i am using my pc all the time, indexing can be done only during night time. And during night time my PC is busy with downoading and uploading, so there will be much load for the hdd.

But thats my viewpoint, people have different viewpoint. So dont take my viewpoint as an advice or any conclusion.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 7:38 AM
  • Indexing is not a problem, its done by the software on its own at the back.. And that too only initial indexing takes a time, after that, every time you create a file, its indexed at that time only...

Also indexing in the MS software is integrated with the OS some how, I had switched of the indexing service of the harddisk, so the software didnt indexed that hard disk,
    I had to reactivate it to index that hard disk, Also i saw that indexing was much faster than the Indexing done by the Google Desktop, and the search results that this software shows is much much better in looks than the Google desktop search result view,

The interface is also very good... try it out once, you will love it.. Its very small and dosen take a lot of memory too, as it gets integrated with the OS.... I think its a better option to Google desktop search engine...
    Friday, June 8, 2007 8:28 AM
  • Yes man i know about it, but i just dont like the overhead of indexing each file i create .
    If you are advising i will surely try it now Smile and let you know how i liked about it. But i am not goingto keep it much longer, i dont like extra mess Smile Even i dont keep any messengers in the startup. I open them as and when i like, i have also disabled many of the services Smile
    Friday, June 8, 2007 8:52 AM
  • And one more thing Varun, i would like to correct the link that you posted. It seems that you have also affected by the admins. They also did the same in the referrals link that they send, instead of using '/' they used '\' and so did you. hehe Not a problem though, here is the link again , if incase anyone is just lazy to type it out, click here 

Friday, June 8, 2007 8:55 AM
  • Also i have 32KB badsectors in one of my partition, so i dont want it to access those portions without my permission Stick out tongue

I am installing the software while i am writing this post Wink
    Friday, June 8, 2007 8:57 AM
  • Even i use to keep the services switched off, but now when i upgraded the ram from 128 to 512, I keep the services which would enhance my work, so no need to be that choosy now, hv the memory to maintain it now..
    Friday, June 8, 2007 11:41 AM
  • Hey man i tried that Windows desktop Search. Seems nice, It does increase the search speed. But it was using the space of my taskbar Stick out tongue hehe , I dont like extra services running. For all people who have more ram, and dont worry the search bar on the taskbar, tis a must use software.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 12:11 PM
  • really tweaky!!
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 5:19 AM