Longevity of PC Backups RRS feed

• Question

• I fear I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how long individual PC backups are kept.  Specifically, the scenario I am in deals with PC's that have no been backed up for a few months.

Back when Windows 7 launched, I made sure to do one last backup of my wife's laptop before wiping her machine and doing a clean install of Windows 7.  She just realized the other day that she could not find a copy of some important family documents in her shared folder on the WHS, nor locally on her PC.  I thought, "no problem, I'll just look at last PC backup from a few months ago."  To my horror, the old PC no longer has ANY backups listed!

If the WHS is instructed to keep a monthly backup for 3 months, will it still get rid of that backup even if there was not a NEWER backup to replace it!?  Not only is this non-intuitive, but seems risky as well.

Is there any hopes of finding those missing backups?
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 9:00 PM

All replies

If the WHS is instructed to keep a monthly backup for 3 months, will it still get rid of that backup even if there was not a NEWER backup to replace it!?  Not only is this non-intuitive, but seems risky as well.

Is there any hopes of finding those missing backups?
    Yes, it will get rid of that last backup. If it expires (per the defined retention policy) it will be deleted at the next backup cleanup. Since you say "a few months", and "Back when Windows 7 launched", I presume that the computer hasn't been backed up for considerably longer than 3 months.

And no, there is (at this point) probably no chance of retrieving that backup.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 9:39 PM
  • You can change the backup from "Manage Automatically" to "Keep this Backup" and then it should never be deleted.  Just before a major change I always mark the backup to keep it, just in case.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:59 PM
  • You can also change the default settings to someting more useful.  For example I use 8 days, 5 weeks and 60 months.  Which should give me montly backups going back 5 years, weekly backup for the last month and daily backup for the past 8 days.   The default 3, 3, 3 is a bit lame to be honest and the MS WHS should make every first backup permanent.  That said it's up to you how you configure it.
    --
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:21 PM