Can't find it in the forums ... but i'll ask an obvious question ... RRS feed

• Question

• I want to ensure that WHS does not write ANYTHING to the drive I use for the OS.  I want to ensure that the drive I have for the OS is strictly that, for the OS.  Is there a way to have WHS know that the "C:" drive is completely protected from it placing any storage on it?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:07 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server will use the physical system drive for two purposes:
    • The system (OS) partition resides here. This contains the usual mix of "stuff" but nothing from the shares, server backups, or Windows Home Server add-ins should be stored on this partition. The significant uses would be log files and files that are in the process of being transferred through the Remote Access web site, if those files are either A) incoming, or B) a group of outgoing files, which compressed for sending (single files are not compressed). This partition is 20 GB in size.
    • The primary data partition resides here; this is the D: partition, and contains tombstones for files in the storage pool and (possibly) actual files, if at some point you had little enough space free on other drives that there was no room for files. This partition occupies the remainder of the system drive.
    In any case, you have no control, other than what you see in the console, over how Windows Home Server uses any given drive. If at some point Microsoft chooses to modify the product in a fashion that uses the C: partition for something, you won't be able to prevent that use...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by kswags Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:59 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:51 PM