When 120 days is up RRS feed

• Question

• Has Microsoft announced what will be the cost for WHS once the 120 day trial is up????

Jim

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:56 PM

Answers

• WHS has been available from OEMs now for quite a few months. Cost wise will depend on where you in the world you are. Do a search on the Internet and you will find places that stock it, for example Newegg.

There is no upgrade path from the trial edition, you need to perform a reinstallation when you get the OEM dvd.

There is no retail version of WHS either.

Andrew

Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:53 PM
  • No, if you perform a server reinstallation, and make sure you choose Server Reinstallation then all of your data is kept intact.

You will need to recreate any users account, re-permission your shared folders and reinstall any add-ins or additional software, but the data is safe.

Andrew

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:04 PM

All replies

• WHS has been available from OEMs now for quite a few months. Cost wise will depend on where you in the world you are. Do a search on the Internet and you will find places that stock it, for example Newegg.

There is no upgrade path from the trial edition, you need to perform a reinstallation when you get the OEM dvd.

There is no retail version of WHS either.

Andrew

Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:53 PM
  • You can buy it at Newegg.com (OEM version)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116395

$170

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:26 PM
  • I hope that when you say "you need to perform a reinstallation"  you dont imply that I will lose all the data and effort I already put into the system.

I love my WHS but if I have to go through all that again I might as well go back to my Server'03

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:17 PM
  • No, if you perform a server reinstallation, and make sure you choose Server Reinstallation then all of your data is kept intact.

You will need to recreate any users account, re-permission your shared folders and reinstall any add-ins or additional software, but the data is safe.

Andrew

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Feb 2, 2008:  Newegg.com, the price was down to $159.98 when I ordered a copy this evening

Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:39 AM