windows 8 upgrade and windows 7 key RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a windows 8 (upgraded from windows 7) key currently in use on this computer.

Today, i will fetch myself a new laptop. I've been wondering, can I use the win 7 key on the laptop, or do i have to get a new one?

Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:03 PM

Answers

• "mcosmin" wrote in message news:c8a50ca4-9070-46a7-b6f4-228b2ada17e4...

hey.

I get all these licenses  from Microsoft Dreamspark, so i don't think either one of them is OEM or written in BIOS.

In that case, there's no problem at all.
    You may have to use telephone activation when you move the license to the laptop, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by mcosmin Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:08 PM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:54 PM

All replies

• "mcosmin" wrote in message news:023654ca-863c-4083-a1c1-6866310398f0...

Hello,

I have a windows 8 (upgraded from windows 7) key currently in use on this computer.

Today, i will fetch myself a new laptop. I've been wondering, can I use the win 7 key on the laptop, or do i have to get a new one?

If Windows 7 is pre-installed on the new laptop it will have its own Key.
    If Windows 7 was preinstalled on the current computer, it's an OEM Key which cannot be moved to any other computer for any reason.
    If you upgraded to Windows 7 on the current computer, and it's an upgrade license, then it can only be used to upgrade an existing installation.

Your Windows 8 Key will expire (if I remember rightly, in March) - at which time you will have to either purchase a legal copy and reinstall, or revert back to the original operating system on this computer.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:28 PM
  • hey.

I get all these licenses  from Microsoft Dreamspark, so i don't think either one of them is OEM or written in BIOS.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:52 PM
  • "mcosmin" wrote in message news:c8a50ca4-9070-46a7-b6f4-228b2ada17e4...

hey.

In that case, there's no problem at all.
    You may have to use telephone activation when you move the license to the laptop, but it shouldn't be a problem.

• Marked as answer by mcosmin Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:08 PM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:54 PM