Restoring files from a backup for a computer no longer in my circle RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to wipe a computer that had been backed up using OneCare.

I renamed the computer, added it to my circle, and removed the old computer name.

Now I am unable to find the backup from the previous computer to restore.

How can I access those files?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Chupathingy, you should be able to access the backup if you select the option to restore files from a different computer. See this KB article for more detail - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171
    Jim
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Thanks Jim.

The problem is that the only backups available from my other computers are for computers that are currently in my circle.

I need to restore files from a backup of a computer that is no longer in my circle but exists on my storage device.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Based on the additional information, I'm assuming that you were using Centralized Backup. Was the PC that is no longer showing when you try to restore a Hub PC that the external drive was attached to?
    There have been some issues reported regarding this scenario - that is the Hub PC being replaced and the Centralized Backup device now attached to a new PC. In essence, this is now a new backup location for the Circle.
    You may wish to try configuring backup on the "new" PC and point the backup to the location of the other backups. Select a file type that won't take much space or time to perform. Do the backup. Now try the custom restore option for restoring from another PC to see if the set you want access to is listed.
    If that doesn't work, please contact support for help. 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-Steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:22 PM