Problems Configuring RDP on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having trouble using RDP to access my WHS externally (WAN), however I can access the WHS using RDP whilst connect to the LAN from my XP Home machine.

All port forwards (80, 443, 3389 and 4125) are inplace on the local router. I have tried using my XXXXX.homeserver.com (DDNS) and Public IP addy to access my WHS with no joy.

Even when I try to telnet to XXXXX.homeserver.com 80 & 443 it works, but when I try and telnet to XXXXX.homeserver.com 3389 or 4125 it fails (Could not open connection to host, on port 3389)

I'm using a Linksys WRV200 router.

HELP ;-(
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:22 PM

Answers

• By design, Windows Home Server doesn't expose port 3389 to the internet. This is because there is a known "man in the middle" attack that targets Remote Desktop Protocol which can expose your administrator password. In addition, remote desktop connections to your server are unsupported in general.

If there is an urgent need for this, you will have to modify your server's port 3389 firewall exception to allow traffic from anywhere, including the internet. But I would recommend against it; if you really need to access your server's desktop remotely it's much more secure to use the remote desktop proxy to access one of your home computers, then use remote desktop from that computer to your server.

For more information, see the Remote Access technical brief.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:30 PM

All replies

• By design, Windows Home Server doesn't expose port 3389 to the internet. This is because there is a known "man in the middle" attack that targets Remote Desktop Protocol which can expose your administrator password. In addition, remote desktop connections to your server are unsupported in general.

If there is an urgent need for this, you will have to modify your server's port 3389 firewall exception to allow traffic from anywhere, including the internet. But I would recommend against it; if you really need to access your server's desktop remotely it's much more secure to use the remote desktop proxy to access one of your home computers, then use remote desktop from that computer to your server.

For more information, see the Remote Access technical brief.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Tha Dude AU said:

Hi,

I am having trouble using RDP to access my WHS externally (WAN), however I can access the WHS using RDP whilst connect to the LAN from my XP Home machine.

All port forwards (80, 443, 3389 and 4125) are inplace on the local router. I have tried using my XXXXX.homeserver.com (DDNS) and Public IP addy to access my WHS with no joy.

Even when I try to telnet to XXXXX.homeserver.com 80 & 443 it works, but when I try and telnet to XXXXX.homeserver.com 3389 or 4125 it fails (Could not open connection to host, on port 3389)

I'm using a Linksys WRV200 router.

HELP ;-(

Also, although most of these other options are unsupported, there are other ways to gain access to your server desktop from outside your LAN.  See Remote Desktop to WHS from Outside home Network for details.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:20 AM
  •  I have managed to gain access to my WHS externally via RDP ;-)

When I try and access the WHS consul via a browser, it still doesn't work.  I'm accessing it via XXXXX.homeserver.com/remote -> then I log on as per normal -> click computers -> click connect to your home server -> it brings up the consul window -> enter my PW -> click OK then it fails...

Provide a message instructing me to install the Microsoft terminal services client control add-on or RDP client control add-on, must be installed and enabled for my web browser.

This is weird..
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:16 PM
  • All sorted now.... thanks guys!
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:32 PM