OFF TOPIC: Restoring Windows RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had to reformat my hard drive and partitioned my c: drive in case I have to do this again in the near future.  On someone's sincere, but misguided advice, I made the c: drive too small.  After spending hours updating Windows XP Professional and Internet Explorer (I'm on a slow DSL), I was just beginning the process of adding back my programs (Office, etc.) and I quickly started running out of space on my c: drive.  I created a backup in hopes that I could reformat again, partition a larger c: drive, and restore from the backup rather than have to go through the hours of downloading all of the updates.  I created the backup using the Windows setup wizard, but can't seem to figure out how to restore from this backup, now that I've reformatted and installed from my Windows disk.  If I go through the System Tools Restore process, it doesn't recognize anything on my system prior to my current reformat and restore point.  When I managed to activate the Windows setup wizard that I used to create the backup, all it tells me is that it has catalogued my backup.  Can I restore to avoid the hours of download, and if so, how?  Thanks for any help.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:38 AM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Windows XP newsgroups here: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/Default.aspx

However, I'm not aware of any backup within Windows XP that does a system backup - meaning Windows plus all updates and programs, so the short answer I believe that you will learn, is no, unfortunately.

-steve

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:27 PM