none
How to set the alert for a new thread RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to set alert for all the new thread created and replied by other user also. I read somewhere that by clicking on the RSS button, we can set the alert. But i am not getting the RSS button.

But i am able to set the alert only to my thread.

Could anyone please help me to set the alert for all the new thread created.

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can do this a few different ways:

1. By clicking on the [ view all ] link next to the forums list and then hovering over the name of the forum, you'll see a RSS icon appear on the right side:

2. By hovering over the name of the forum in the main thread view, you'll see the information card for the forum appear. There's a RSS button there as well:

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,700+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

But it looks like i will not get any alert in Email for the new thread.

Saturday, April 5, 2014 2:09 AM
  • That's true, I don't believe that it's possible to automatically set email alerts for threads that you haven't participated in.

Many email clients do have a section for RSS feeds though.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Saturday, April 5, 2014 4:33 PM
  • I don't believe that it's possible to automatically set email alerts for threads that you haven't participated in.

Not in a preview (e.g. in a message list) but if you open a thread in its own tab or window you can use the Alert me button under the title (on the left).

I don't know what RSS would have to do with this.  Maybe it is just that RSS was mentioned at the same time, as an alternate method of being informed about changes to a thread one is interested in?   E.g. if you subscribe to a thread and you looked in your RSS feeds a change would appear there as a recent update.  In a way that might be better than alerts, depending on your delivery choice.  However, supposedly either could be sent to your phone.  FWIW I don't have a phone so I haven't tried this to know what it looks like or what the difference is for either method.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 7, 2014 3:46 PM
  • I read the initial question as 'How do I know when new threads are started in X forum by any user?', so that's why I suggested going with the RSS feed. AFAIK, that's the only way to be notified when new threads are started.

Monday, April 7, 2014 3:50 PM
  • I read the initial question as 'How do I know when new threads are started in X forum by any user?', so that's why I suggested going with the RSS feed. AFAIK, that's the only way to be notified when new threads are started.
    Sorry. You are right. I was only reacting to the statement I quoted and not considering its context.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 7, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Cheers.

Personally, I don't really see the benefit of generating a new email notification for every single new thread. I'd get lost in the amount of messages that get sent.

Monday, April 7, 2014 4:16 PM

My Forums Threads under Quick Access will show all the posts in the forums that you have added to My Forums.

If you sort using Most Recent Post then the new threads will appear at the top.

Alternatively you can create URL's for groups of forums and save them as browser bookmarks/favorites.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:54 AM
  • Also good points (and I use those methods myself), but the OP is looking for email notifications:

But it looks like i will not get any alert in Email for the new thread.

For that specific case, I don't think we have any method for setting up email alerts for every single new thread. I should have specified that in my earlier post. =]

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:35 PM