Can we build a wireless router into WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I am on a mission to build the ultimate center of a digital home.  If we think about it, in theory, you could have one central computer in the house that did everything.  It could be a file server, DVR, DVD storage center, exchange type server for syncing stuff, wireless router, and mayby more.  Then all your wires (like cable, DSL, Satilite, and whatever else) could plug into that one box that you could put in the closet somewhere and all your devices in the home would be able to access the files and services it hosted.  You could even replace your DSL and cable modems by getting the internal PCI versions of these devices and if the cable and satilite companies would ever get on the ball and support cable cards, then we could replace our cable and satilite recievers.  This would simplify most of the digital devices in the home and give you alot more functioallity.  I think that WHS can get us close to this goal, and I think the wireless router may be the easiest place to start.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:17 PM

All replies

• As far as I can tell your average linksys or netgear wireless router does four jobs; Network Address Translation, NAT; Dynamic Host Configureation Protocol, DHCP; Domain Name System server, DNS; and wireless access point.  I know Server 2003 and therefore WHS has a NAT server built in that you can turn on and I have a wireless card installed on the machine but I'm not sure how to configure it as an access point.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:34 PM
  • Well, I just got finished setting up m0n0wall in a virtual machine using VMWare on my Home Server. The motherboard has a network card used by the system to access the network, and I have two additional network cards dedicated to m0n0wall.

So m0n0wall runs as its own separate machine with its own network hardware on top of WHS. I'm also using Hamachi as a service, to do remote backups of my Mom's machine (I did the inital backup locally first.)

So far its working like a dream!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:41 PM