Static IP address or not... RRS feed

• Question

•  My ISP is giving me a free static IP address and I'm wondering what is the benefit of this and will it help the performance of my WHS? 
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:25 PM

Answers

• The benefit is that, if your IP address never changes, you could manage a custom domain name (a "vanity URL") without needing a dynamic DNS service. So you could set your server up as "WHS.ncinsguy.com" where you own the ncinsguy.com domain outright. (ther eare other benefits, but for the average home user, that's pretty much it.)

The downside is that when (not if) your "static" ip address changes because your ISP changes their policy, or reorganizes their network, etc. your domain will be pointing to the middle of nowhere, and you'll need to deal with the problem yourself.

My recommendation is to say "Thank you!" to your ISP, and continue to use a dynamic DNS service, i.e. pretend you don't have a static IP address.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:52 PM

All replies

• The benefit is that, if your IP address never changes, you could manage a custom domain name (a "vanity URL") without needing a dynamic DNS service. So you could set your server up as "WHS.ncinsguy.com" where you own the ncinsguy.com domain outright. (ther eare other benefits, but for the average home user, that's pretty much it.)

The downside is that when (not if) your "static" ip address changes because your ISP changes their policy, or reorganizes their network, etc. your domain will be pointing to the middle of nowhere, and you'll need to deal with the problem yourself.

My recommendation is to say "Thank you!" to your ISP, and continue to use a dynamic DNS service, i.e. pretend you don't have a static IP address.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:52 PM
  • There's no real benefit in this for WHS, at least not for the intended uses. To learn more about the advantages of static IP addresses just search the web for "advantage of static ip".
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Hi,
    In general, the majority of what ISP's refer to as 'static' IP's are in fact, just IP's that don't change on a regular basis, or until they - the ISP - need to re-segment or switch services.
    Personally, unless it was a guaranteed permanent IP, I wouldn't bother, as when it changes, you will have hassle changing everything to match it.

Also, it wouldn't have any effect at all on the WHS performance whatsoever.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:56 PM