Workflow permissions RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that the ability to run workflows is an all or nothing proposition.  Is this true?  If a Service Rep is allowed to run workflows for their work, by default, they are also able to run, say, the workflows of Senior Managers that authorize things.  What are the alternatives for restricting rights to run a workflow?

Thanks
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:52 PM

Answers

• Thanks.

I was missing that you could actually set the scope on individual workflows by using the "Sharing" option off of the "More Actions" menu.  I was looking in the role administration screens.  I am surprised this is not pointed out better in some of the books/examples. 

Anyway, thanks again.

• Marked as answer by lloydgr Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:52 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:52 PM

All replies

• You can set the scope of each workflow to be from User to Organization to affect what areas of the system are affected by your workflows. Additionally there is a setting in the Security Role settings in the Customization tab to set the Read permissions on workflows exactly as you wish them to be.

Kind regards,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Monday, March 1, 2010 10:46 PM
  • But the permission applies to all workflows for that role, correct?  How do I get a salesperson to have Read Access to some and not others while a Executive Manager has Access to, say, the opposite set.  (SalesPerson can run "Initiate RFP" workflow, Manager can't,  Manage can initiate "Quarterly Approvals" process, SalesPerson can't)

Am I missing something or not?

Thanks (and sorry if I'm being dumb)

Greg
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:03 AM
  • The individual workflow has a scope setting. You set it to 'user' the only person running that workflow will be the owner.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Greg,

You can accomplish this by mixing the Scope (as I desrcibed) and appropriate business units / user roles. So, if you set the Scope of the workflow to User and the security role allows user to read only their own workflows, then noone else would see that workflow. And so on.

I hope that helps,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Thanks.

I was missing that you could actually set the scope on individual workflows by using the "Sharing" option off of the "More Actions" menu.  I was looking in the role administration screens.  I am surprised this is not pointed out better in some of the books/examples. 

Anyway, thanks again.

• Marked as answer by lloydgr Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:52 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:52 PM