Export to excel issue RRS feed

• Question

• This has happened suddenly. When I export a report to Excel, Excel page opens up BUT it is blank. I have tried various reports. Furthermore, the "Send to" function does not work either. These both used to work until recently. I am puzzled and any help will be appreciated.

Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:40 AM

All replies

• What version of Money?  What OS?  What changes have you made to the system between the time it worked and the time it started failing?
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:12 PM
  • What version of Money?  What OS?  What changes have you made to the system between the time it worked and the time it started failing?

Sunset Deluxe, Windows 10 64bit, No changes that I am aware of. So far I have reinstalled Microsoft Excel (Office 2016) and Money Sunset (with Registry clean as well). No luck. I wonder if there is a setting I need to change.

Strange thing is that I tried this on my laptop (Sunset with Win 10 64bit) and used an active *.mny file via a Usb stick. It works just fine.

Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:24 PM
  • If I do an Export to Excel, I get an Export Report window appearing. I don't know how far you are getting.

What I usually do is to choose Copy, and then Paste into a spreadsheet. You might like that way better anyway.

Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:11 PM
  • To investigate further, in the report screen if you choose:

Send to > Desktop

you should see three files appear on your desktop, - .txt, .xml, and .csv.  Are they all empty?

Bill Becker

Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:56 PM
  • To investigate further, in the report screen if you choose:

Send to > Desktop

you should see three files appear on your desktop, - .txt, .xml, and .csv.  Are they all empty?

Bill Becker

Nothing happens. There are no files on desktop.
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:10 PM
  • If I do an Export to Excel, I get an Export Report window appearing. I don't know how far you are getting.

What I usually do is to choose Copy, and then Paste into a spreadsheet. You might like that way better anyway.

I get the excel opening but it blank. i.e. no report numbers etc. In the MS report, right click, export let’s me save it as a text file which I. Can open in excel with parsing. Strange I cannot export to Excel or send it via email option.
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:14 PM
  • What I usually do is to choose Copy, and then Paste into a spreadsheet. You might like that way better anyway.

Sorry, can you explain this more please? Run copy in ms money report page.
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:17 PM
  • I get the excel opening but it blank. i.e. no report numbers etc. In the MS report, right click, export let’s me save it as a text file which I. Can open in excel with parsing. Strange I cannot export to Excel or send it via email option.

Right click into the midst of the report in Money. Is there a choice to Copy after you right click into Money? Select Copy.

Open Excel. Then right-click into the Excel spreadsheet at the upper left box in where you want the pasted report to go, and chose Paste.

Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:46 PM
  • It's a long shot but maybe Money is trying to write to a protected file and Windows is blocking it:

- When you do Export to Excel are you choosing a folder or location in your Documents folder?

- Do you by any chance have Controlled folder access turned on?  To check, go to Settings>Update and Security> Windows Defender>Open Windows Defender security Center>Virus and Threat Protection>Virus and threat protection settings and scroll down to Controlled folder access.  If this is "on", try turning it off.  

Bill Becker

Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:16 AM
  • Right click into the midst of the report in Money. Is there a choice to Copy after you right click into Money? Select Copy.

Open Excel. Then right-click into the Excel spreadsheet at the upper left box in where you want the pasted report to go, and chose Paste.

Cal

This copy function works for me. I am curious that previously the Export to Excel function used to send the report to Excel in one click without having to copy and paste. Also,I could use the Send to function - which does not work now.

I guess, I can live with the Copy / paste function if all fails!

Sunday, December 31, 2017 8:17 AM
  • It's a long shot but maybe Money is trying to write to a protected file and Windows is blocking it:

- When you do Export to Excel are you choosing a folder or location in your Documents folder?

- Do you by any chance have Controlled folder access turned on?  To check, go to Settings>Update and Security> Windows Defender>Open Windows Defender security Center>Virus and Threat Protection>Virus and threat protection settings and scroll down to Controlled folder access.  If this is "on", try turning it off.  

Bill Becker

Bill

This is Off.

Sunday, December 31, 2017 8:23 AM
  • You could try installing the Ultrasoft "Moneylink" addin to your Excel program and then 'pull' information from your ***.mny data file into Excel ~ rather than try to 'push' information from Money directly into Excel. Else use the Money export feature and accept that the ***.txt file (the only option in Money 2000) contents will have to be pasted into an Excel spreadsheet.  

In my opinion it is easier to manipulate data in a Money report before exporting, and maybe 'tweak' once in Excel ~ rather than export raw data from Money and then do all the manipulation in Excel.

Teabag

Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:09 AM
  • You could try installing the Ultrasoft "Moneylink" addin to your Excel program and then 'pull' information from your ***.mny data file into Excel ~ rather than try to 'push' information from Money directly into Excel. Else use the Money export feature and accept that the ***.txt file (the only option in Money 2000) contents will have to be pasted into an Excel spreadsheet.  

In my opinion it is easier to manipulate data in a Money report before exporting, and maybe 'tweak' once in Excel ~ rather than export raw data from Money and then do all the manipulation in Excel.

Teabag

Many thanks for this. I will try it out.

You may have found the problem - "pushing the info from Money to Excel". Not sure if one can turn this on/off on a PC?

• Edited by finwizzard Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:38 AM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:38 AM

• How bizarre!!

Yesterday a large update from Microsoft came through for my Windows 10. This apparently has fixed this problem and the data now exports to Excel and Outlook!

Wonders of Microsoft!

Friday, January 26, 2018 9:45 AM