none
Ganglia for Windows HPC 2008

General discussion

• Hi everyone,

in order to have our Windows Cluster (2003) showing occupation etc. together with our Linux systems, we installed the precompiled ganglia from APR Consulting on the nodes.
    However the executables had a severe memory leak on the 2008 OS, so we tried to build our own Windows/Cygwin Ganglia and succeeded.

Its in my interest if anyone else is doing this and what are  your experience?

So far we manage to run gmond.exe as a scheduled task once on startup. After that it daemonizes. All other attempts to install it as a service, e.g. cygrunsrv, sc.exe aso. failed.

Of course a full blown Windows Service would be much more appreciated.

For those who want to try and are not so familiar in the Linux/Cygwin environment (I'm not as well)  I've posted a small blog article here, which guides through the basic steps:

http://www.blogs.uni-erlangen.de/JohannesHabich/stories/3146/

All links are there, too.

JH
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:22 AM

All replies

• I've recently updated my notes on how to get ganglia going as a service on win2008 anyway using the Windows Ressource Kit Tools 2003, in paticular srvany.exe

Please read here for detailed instructions.

It should also be possible to have ganglia running as a service using the cygwin cygrunsrv.exe with creates services too. Thanks to Nigel for pointing that out.

Due to the changes from 2008 to 2008 R2 the binary no longer works and currently I've Problems on rebuilding the binary under Win2008 R2 with Cygwin.

JH
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:02 AM