Government spyware? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Windows Live OneCare anti-malware (1) detect and report to the user and (2) defeat any and all spyware, even if said spyware is from or on the behest of an agency or department or other entity of the U.S. government or any other government; with no exceptions whatsoever?
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:29 AM

Answers

• I don't think that anyone can answer this question with absolute certainty. In fact, any antivirus/anti-spyware program that makes such a claim is lying as no software is 100% effective at detecting all threats, no matter what the source. However, I would be surprised if any security software was in cahoots with any government agency to allow their software to go undetected. Anything is, however, possible.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:55 PM

All replies

• I don't think that anyone can answer this question with absolute certainty. In fact, any antivirus/anti-spyware program that makes such a claim is lying as no software is 100% effective at detecting all threats, no matter what the source. However, I would be surprised if any security software was in cahoots with any government agency to allow their software to go undetected. Anything is, however, possible.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Why would you be surprised? Are security software companies somehow morally superior to those telephone/internet communication companies that have received congressional immunity after having violated the Forth Ammendment?   
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 8:39 PM