Email not tracking in CRM RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully been tracking emails in my outlook to the relevant lead in the crm (using office 2007 and crm 2011). However, I have now an email from a customer whose email address is set up on the lead, yet when pressing "track in crm" and synchronizing, it still does not show up in the crm. Any ideas anyone why??
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Was set-regarding used?

Cheers, Francis Edwin

Follow me on: https://twitter.com/astutecrm

My Blog: http://astutecrm.wordpress.com/ 

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:35 AM
  • It was not. I did it now and it worked. However, I have never needed to do this before, so why now?
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Could you please check this setting in CRM : Settings -> System Settings -> Email Tab -> Track emails sent between CRM users as two activities?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:39 AM
  • I've seen this many times and it happened when the your CRM is not able to recognize the email, in this case we have to explicitly instruct the system by using set-regarding to map it to the particular record! 

Cheers, Francis Edwin

Follow me on: https://twitter.com/astutecrm

My Blog: http://astutecrm.wordpress.com/ 

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Hi Francis,

I've moved users from other systems into Dynamics CRM who are used to all email being tracked either because the email client was built in to the CRM or it had an Outlook add-in set to copy any emails into the CRM activity history if the email address had a match in a contact record. They want every email inbound and out tracked even though we've proven to them that blanket tracking uses storage unwisely and makes relevant emails harder to find in activity history. Also they can simply search their Outlook store and track something missing. I think it's a perceived need for CYA.

Actually I too would like to know more of the mechanics of why some emails don't track when all the settings are as follows:

In Personal Options - Email

Checked - Allow Microsoft Dynamics to send e-mail using Microsot Dynamics CRM for Outlook

Checked - Check incoming e-mail in Outlook and determine whether and e-mail should be linked and saved as a Mciro

Track - E-mail messages from CRM Leads, Contacts and Accounts

Checked  - Create Contacts from the sender or organizer of tracked email messages and meetings

In Personal Options  - Address Book

Contacts - Match all contacts in Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Other record types - Match all items in Microsoft Dynamics CRM

I guess it has to do with smart matching algorithms?

I also have some client's complaining that personal emails are being tracked even though that sender's email wasn't created in CRM and they don't have "Create Contacts from the sender or organizer of trackd email messages and meetings" checked.

Doug Steinschneider DCS Group
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Actually I too would like to know more of the mechanics of why some emails don't track when all the settings are as follows:

In Personal Options - Email

Checked - Allow Microsoft Dynamics to send e-mail using Microsot Dynamics CRM for Outlook

Checked - Check incoming e-mail in Outlook and determine whether and e-mail should be linked and saved as a Mciro

Checked  - Create Contacts from the sender or organizer of tracked email messages and meetings

In Personal Options  - Address Book

Contacts - Match all contacts in Microso

Track - E-mail messages from CRM Leads, Contacts and Accounts

In your question you ask why "ALL" emails are not tracked with the settings you indicated.  The key setting here is 'Track-e-mail messages from CRM Leads, Contacts and Accounts".  If you want "ALL" e-mails tracked then you'll need to select the option, "Track All E-mails" and not just those from Leads, Contacts and Accounts.

Regards, Donna

Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Sorry about being unclear - we have the above settings and I have seen the Outlook client not link for email addresses that are in a CRM Lead, Contact or Account. I know users claim this and then you show them that the sender is using a different email address etc. but in this case its the same address.  

The other odd behaviour is that I will untrack something like a newsletter that's tracking. I do have checked "Create Contacts from the sender or organizer of tracked e-mail messages or meetings". I thought that when I untrack the newsletter and then delete the contact/email address that was created perhaps from clicking track on the newsletter in the past (although I could swear I never did that!) that going forward it wouldn't track but when the next newsletter arrives it's tracked.

I confess that I have not been troubleshooting this properly such as inspecting create dates of the newsletter contact (It's CRM Magazine BTW - CRM Magazine CRM.eWeekly@emediapro.com ) but I'm about to start carefully "tracking" :) this to get to the bottom of exactly how email tracking works. For the most part its fine and I'm actually just responding to clients who have asked me about it.

Doug Steinschneider DCS Group
    Monday, June 13, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Doug,

Are you still seeing this issue?  We have encountered in with our own system on premise and a client using CRM online (both 2011).  I have verified the settings are where they should be set and some emails are tracked correctly, but others are not.

Steve Luc

Steve
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:43 PM