Windows Home Server - How to Upgrade the PID from Evaluation version to the OEM PID/COA RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the home server with the iso file w/SP1 (3/24/09) from Technet plus download.
    I used an evaluation product key to be sure all worked, Updated to SP2 & all updates. All work perfectly!
    Now I want to activate the server, but prior to activate I want to change/update the product key from the evaluation key to a legitimate never used OEM COA product key.
    On the activation windows, when I input the OEM product key result is invalid!
    I purchased a legitimate OEM System Builder Pack item PN: CCQ-00015.
    I do not want to reinstall from the OEM DVD Pack (the DVD do not even have the service pack 1 in it)!
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:13 PM

All replies

• I installed the home server with the iso file w/SP1 (3/24/09) from Technet plus download.
    I used an evaluation product key to be sure all worked, Updated to SP2 & all updates. All work perfectly!
    Now I want to activate the server, but prior to activate I want to change/update the product key from the evaluation key to a legitimate never used OEM COA product key.
    On the activation windows, when I input the OEM product key result is invalid!
    I purchased a legitimate OEM System Builder Pack item PN: CCQ-00015.
    I do not want to reinstall from the OEM DVD Pack (the DVD do not even have the service pack 1 in it)!
    You don't have a choice.  You must do a Server Reinstallation.  Note that it only wipes the OS partition, not the data.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 11:36 PM
  • The software you installed from Technet is not (technically) evaluation software. You should not need to reinstall, as the software you have now will not expire in 120 days.

As for the product key, there are different product keys for different versions of the product, and a product key for one version doesn't work on a different one.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:42 PM