Money 2004 password problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have been using MS money 2004 for years and all of a sudden we get this message when we try to log into to open the same file we have been opening for years.

I upgraded to MS Money Sunset and it did not help.  Any fixes out there?  Help!

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:29 PM

All replies

•  

We have been using MS money 2004 for years and all of a sudden we get this message when we try to log into to open the same file we have been opening for years.

I upgraded to MS Money Sunset and it did not help.  Any fixes out there?  Help!

Copy your latest *.mny and *.mbf files to other media, such as a USB flash drive. That way, if something bad happens, you will be able to recover.

Then I suggest you do File->Restore of your newest or second-news *.mbf file Rather than restoring to the saved location, I would Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a new name.

I am not sure what "this message" is. You might tell us what the actual message is if you don't get this working first.

Monday, August 22, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Thank you I will run this by my IT guy.  I tried to copy in a screen shot of the message but the forum editor would not copy it in.  Here is the message.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Which version of Money is currently installed -- 2004 or Plus? I guess you have Plus installed right now. If you have a *.m12 file, that is a copy of the 2004 version of your file, and the *.mny  file will be the Plus file. I think you have a simple password on your file, rather than a Passport/LiveID. That should make things simpler. So you enter the password and get the pop-up when you press Sign In. Then you click Yes. What happens then.

If things are not working, I  woud first try a repair of your Money file. I don't recognize where you are in Money, since I don't see the File line at the top. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us shows a couple ways to do a repair of a file. Try a level 2 repair, and see if the repaired verison of the file opens.

Restore a *.mbf file if the repair is not successful.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:23 AM