Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Strange question....

I use WHS at home to network my work machine, my personal machine and my laptops (one for work and one for personal) I am a consultant and WHS was perfect for my needs and i can now access my work files from my laptop etc so exactly what is says on the tin.

I can use Remote desktop to connect to my server from anyone of my devices all of which are running Windows 7 Ultimate Eval.

I also have a machine that a member of my staff uses to check files and complete all the legal stuff etc.

I tried to connect to the remote desktop from a pc running Windows Vista HP and one that is not connected to my LAN and I can't!!!
    Is there a way of doing this?
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• In addition to what kariya21 says, you can't use Remote Desktop at all to connect to your server from off your local network, at least not without modifying firewall restrictions on your server, and forwarding additional ports in your router. And I'll note as an aside that connecting to your server using Remote Desktop is sometimes convenient, but it's unsupported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Strange question....

I use WHS at home to network my work machine, my personal machine and my laptops (one for work and one for personal) I am a consultant and WHS was perfect for my needs and i can now access my work files from my laptop etc so exactly what is says on the tin.

I can use Remote desktop to connect to my server from anyone of my devices all of which are running Windows 7 Ultimate Eval.

I also have a machine that a member of my staff uses to check files and complete all the legal stuff etc.

I tried to connect to the remote desktop from a pc running Windows Vista HP and one that is not connected to my LAN and I can't!!!
    Is there a way of doing this?

You can use Remote Desktop from any PC.  However, you can only connect to XP Pro, XP Media Center, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Vista Enterprise, 7 Pro, 7 Ultimate, and 7 Enterprise.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:08 PM
  • In addition to what kariya21 says, you can't use Remote Desktop at all to connect to your server from off your local network, at least not without modifying firewall restrictions on your server, and forwarding additional ports in your router. And I'll note as an aside that connecting to your server using Remote Desktop is sometimes convenient, but it's unsupported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:23 AM
  • I thank you for your replies and for clearing that up.

Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:25 PM