PCs won't stay connected to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• About a week ago the following started happending.  I think it may be the update that recently came out, but not sure.

WHS had been operating flawlessly since I installed it in September.  From September to December, I never had to reboot the server a single time or do anything out of the ordinary.  About a week ago, the three PC's that are connected to the WHS started losing their connection.  The icon in the toolbar would turn grey and/or I would lose the ability to connect to the shared folders. 

One of the primary things I use the server for is to store our digital pictures.  All of these PC's use the shared picture folder for their screen savers.  Fairly often the first picture will come up and then the pictures will freeze and stop rotating through.  The screensave appears to be operating normally.  It will awake in the normal fashion.  All three PCs (two Vista Ultimate - 1 XP PRO) have the exact same problems.

How would I diagnose if one of the drives is having an issue?  There are 2 - 250gb IDE drives in the server.  I do have the duplication on.  I have had to reboot the WHS a couple times recently.  The yellow drive light seems stuck in the on position.  After I reboot it works fine for a couple hours.

Is anyone else experiencing something similiar?  Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:47 PM

All replies

• Not having the same machine as you, I'm not sure what you mean by

The yellow drive light seems stuck in the on position.
    - can you explain?

I note that "After I reboot it works fine for a couple hours" so maybe some hardware is failing. Can you RDP into the server and see if it's still working, and of there is anything in the Event Logs (Control Panel > Admin Tools)?

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:55 PM