WSUS Update KB949810 causing issues with Visual Studio 2005 and LC.exe

Question

• My development team received the mistakenly released KB949810 update automatically as per our corporate domain policy, and since this update was installed (on Thursday, 4/17) the majority of our team has been encountering an error thrown by LC.exe (License Compiler) via Visual Studio 2005 seemingly at random for some predictably for others.

The issue manifests itself as such for me:

When a particular solution, our executable, is built with only its own project it builds successfully.
    When a second, related, project is included in the solution and built it produces this error:
    "The exception unknown software exception (0xc0020001) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a5b.", with the Errors dialog in VS05 displaying "LC.exe exited with code -1073610751."
    When the projects are built from independent solutions no error is encountered.

Are others having issues, is this unrelated to the update?  Is there a rollback/fix to remove this update (which applies to WGA)?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:42 PM

Answers

• I do not believe this error is related to KB949810.  This release does not impact licensing, crypto, or any compiler technology in any way, nor does it interface with Visual Studio. 

The update only performs checks on the office license state using preexisting APIs used by Office to block online template downloads and non-critical, non-security related updates, and provides a user interface to the user to inform them of licensing issues in advance of the user facing diminished functionality so that they can take preemptive action.  Since we do not actually change the behavior of Licensing or any related code, I cannot see this update having the effect you are seeing, and we have not had any reports of such behavior related to this update.

I would recommend pursuing this on the Visual Studio forums: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=6&SiteID=1

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:30 PM