How does Office Communicator "Tools" -> "Add a Contact" Search Active Directory? How can I limit the search scope? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out how Office Communicator client searches Active Directory when you use the "Tools -> Add a Contact" wizard.  What account does the actual query?  Is it the actual signed-in OCS user, or does the search occur with a service account?

I want to try and limit the search results (for example, so it will only ever find users in the same OU as the logged in user).

Is this documented anywhere?  Or does anyone know exactly how this works?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:57 PM

All replies

• The answer to my question is in the post "add contact tenant isolation - W08-DWHO.64"

I did a search for "W08-DWHO.64" on Google and see that it is Microsoft's documentation on using OCS in a hosted (HMC) environment.  This information answers my question.

Basically, remove the permission that gives "Authenticated users" the "Read RTCUserSearchPropertySet" from your OU.

• Marked as answer by quencybrown Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by quencybrown Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tim Coveney Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:43 PM
  • A howto is located at: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/3442b7a1-bc6b-4c11-bcf0-e053c7e2687f
    haytham,
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 12:07 PM