Single A/V Edge Pool pointing to multiple Enterprise Pools RRS feed

• Question

•  

Dear,

Although I guess this is possible I wanted to cross-check to make sure.. Is it possible/supported to have a single A/V Edge Pool pointing to 2 different internal Enterprise Pools ?

Sincerely,

Tonino Bruno

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:24 PM

Answers

• It is true for all the Edge server roles.  Remember that the SIP messaging piece of this takes place before any audio session.  During that time all the to/from destinations and routing is established to ensure that the audio streams go to the correct places.

You can be quite certain that the product was not architected in such a way as to require one Edge server per pool - in some of the larger deployments that are out there that would require quite a number of servers, especially where redundancy is required.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:51 PM

All replies

• Each Edge server points to a single FQDN as its next hop.  For security and performance reasons the recommended scenario is that the Edge server's next hop be a Director, which is basically a Standard Edition server or Enterprise pool with no users homed on it.  The role of the Director is to authenticate users and pass them to their pool.  However, the next hop can be one of your existing pools as well since all pools and Standard servers act as Directors.  In either scenario you can deploy a single Edge server for your entire environment.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:39 PM
  • What you are describing is true for the Access Edge but I am not certain for the Audio/Video Edge or the other Edge roles. Is it your understanding that although an A/V Edge server doen't utilize or pass a director server it still can support multiple pools. From my point of view as the signaling is done over SIP to the access edge and the director it's doesn't matter how many pools you have for a single A/V Edge server.

In any case thanks for providing your view on this.. very much appreciated..

Tonino bruno

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:09 PM
  • It is true for all the Edge server roles.  Remember that the SIP messaging piece of this takes place before any audio session.  During that time all the to/from destinations and routing is established to ensure that the audio streams go to the correct places.

You can be quite certain that the product was not architected in such a way as to require one Edge server per pool - in some of the larger deployments that are out there that would require quite a number of servers, especially where redundancy is required.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:51 PM
  • my thought exactely but I couldn't find this on paper somewhere... In the meanwhile I also got a confirmation from an informal contact through Microsoft so I guess I am covered.. Now to deploy and test in a lab environment ;-)

thanks for your take on this ...

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:27 PM