New HP Envy Laptop with win 8 will not connect to whs2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new HP Laptop with intel I3 chip and 6gb ram. I can ping the server, access the shared folders through the network, but the connector software cannot locate the server. I have .net3.5 enables, tried disabling the firewall, etc., but cannot setup the laptop to backup to the server as the connector software cannot locate the server.  Other clients, HP Envy Desktop included, connect fine, just this latest addition. Anyone have any throughts?

Jim Marcum

• Changed type Olaf Engelke Wednesday, April 1, 2015 1:04 PM it was a question
    Sunday, March 29, 2015 12:27 AM

Answers

• You should get the latest connector by running http//:<servername>:65510/connect using a browser on your Client.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Wednesday, April 1, 2015 1:04 PM
    Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:30 PM
  • Here's what did it for me with a recently purchased laptop running W8.1:

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Installing this patch updated the connector software on all of my machines, Win 7 SP1 and Win 8.1. Backups ran without issue on both machines. Make sure that you check for Windows Updates and apply them prior to backup.

Sunday, March 29, 2015 5:38 PM

All replies

• Here's what did it for me with a recently purchased laptop running W8.1:

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Installing this patch updated the connector software on all of my machines, Win 7 SP1 and Win 8.1. Backups ran without issue on both machines. Make sure that you check for Windows Updates and apply them prior to backup.

Sunday, March 29, 2015 5:38 PM
  • Thanks for the reply! Do you run this on the client machine or the server? I have no problem with the server and other windows 8 new desktop machines, so i tried to install it on the laptop. I received the message that this patch is not for this machine. I remember when I first got my HP Envy Desktop that I couldn't connect, but after I applied a fix sometime last year, it worked fine.  unfortunately, I don't remember what that patch was, but with this new laptop, I seem to be back to square one.  If this patch does not apply to my laptop, any other ideas?

Jim Marcum

Sunday, March 29, 2015 7:02 PM
  • That Hotfix is run on your Server, not a Client.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, March 29, 2015 7:52 PM
  • Thanks, Phil, what I found is that I had already run that hotfix on WHS 2011 when I bought my new HP Envy desktop and couldn't connect at that time. I just now tried to run this hotfix on the server, but received the message that it has already been run on this machine.  So, my dilemma is "why does this new HP laptop not connect? I even copied the connector software from the server and tried to run that, and I used my disk, but nothing worked. Is there a different connect software somewhere I am not finding?  Thanks and I'm open to suggestions.

Jim Marcum

Sunday, March 29, 2015 8:30 PM
  • You should get the latest connector by running http//:<servername>:65510/connect using a browser on your Client.

Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:30 PM
  • Phil, thank you so much for the answer. That worked flawlessly!  I have now connected and am backing up as I write.

Jim Marcum

Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:11 PM
  • I don't see any option to mark this as solved, but Phil solved this for me.

Jim Marcum

Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:14 PM
  • Good - pleased your problem is solved. Not sure where the "Mark as answer" button has gone but it's not there!!

Monday, March 30, 2015 10:20 PM
  • The missing answer button was result of the wrong selected type (discussion instead of question).

Changed now and marked the proper answer postings.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 1:06 PM