Office Small Business 2007. How to tell how many user licences the product has (1 or 3) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

A client of us uses 'Office small business 2007'. He says he was told whenever he bought it a few years ago it is a '3 user license' pack.

Is there a tool of any kind, online or off-line we can use to find out how many user licences are attached to this product?

I know the forum is about Genuine validation and the question is not really about having a valid Product key but I can't find anything closer to our problem.

The product itself is genuine. It's retail, the box has all the stickers described on other sites on how to make sure your product is genuine, the CD's have all the markings.

It's just about how many users are allowed to use this product.

During our search online we found a few retails still selling the 2007 version. Some seem to have the same number I found on the product sticker.

Does 'x12-08297' have anything to do with it?

or maybe the sku 'W87-q1076'

Thanx for any help or pointer

Andreas

PS:I hope I'm not to far off to ask this question in this forum, my apologies if I am.

Sunday, January 2, 2011 10:24 PM

Answers

• Hello Byte-It,

Your client has Office Small Business 2007.

This could have been sold to the client in one of five ways:

1.  Full packaged product, full retail license.  Rounded corner clear plastic box with pivoting disc tray, Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the top edge of the box, hologrammed installation disc(s) inside, product key printed on a yellow orange Proof of License label affixed to the pivoting tray.  Licnesed for two devices:  the primary license holder's "main" computer (usually but not always a desktop) and the primary license holder's "portable" (aka laptop) computer.  License permits movement of license to another computer.

2.  Full packaged product, upgrade license.  Same materials as above, except product and disc is clearly labeled "upgrade."  The product will not install unless there is a qualifying upgradeable product either installed on the computer, or such upgradeable product's installation disc is available to be inserted into the computer during setup.  Licensed for use on one computer.  License permites movement of license to another computer.

3.  Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) license preinstalled on the computer at the time of manufacture/assembly.  This product is usually supplied in a plain white cardboard sleeve with the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the cardboard sleeve.  OEM software has the Product Key printed on the CoA.  If the product was purchased with a major name brand computer, the CoA will have that company's name printed on the CoA.  If the product was sold in the "systembuilder" channel (authorized Microsoft distributors sell product at wholesale to smaller computer builders and local Mom-n-Pop computer stores thru the systembuilder channel), the product's CoA will have "OEM Product" or "OEM software" printed on the CoA in place of the major computer manufacturer's name.  OEM licenses are permanently tied to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  When the computer dies, the OEM software license dies with it.

4.  Trial product downloaded directly to each individual computer from Microsoft's Try Office website.  After the Trial period is over, the client would have had to either purchase a product key directly from Microsoft to activate the installations, or, the client could hahe used product keys from full retail packaged product (#1 above) to convert the Trials to perpetually licensed product.

5.  Trial product preinstalled on each computer by the manufacturer or value-added reseller called the "Office Ready PC."  This installation came thru as a Trial of Office that could be activated as one of three prepetually licensed products depending upon which product key the client purchased and used for activation.  The product keys were sold as "MediaLess Licensing Kits (MLK)" and function very similarly to Office 2010's Product Key Cards.  The license activated with an MLK is an OEM license that is permanently tied to the computer onto which it is first installed.

The "3-user packs" you are asking about could have been a 3-pack of MLK licenses, one product key per pack.  Or the 3-pack could have been a 3-pack of systembuilder/OEM Office licenses, again, one product key per pack.

Under either of those 3-pack situations, since these are OEM licenses, there should be one distinct product key each per computer, for a total of three separate and distinct product keys.  As OEM licenses, these are permanently tied to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  When the computer dies, the OEM software license dies with it.

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Byte-It Monday, January 3, 2011 6:39 PM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:34 PM

All replies

• If you are referring to a retail edition of Office Small Business 2007, the license agreement states it is licensed for one (1) installation on a desktop PC and one (1) installation on a laptop or notebook PC that is owned by the purchaser of the license.  Thus, the license is not a "3 user license".

Please see: Microsoft Software License Terms (MSLT) for the 2007 Microsoft Office system

Quote:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device. That device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software on the licensed device.

b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

Carey Frisch
    Monday, January 3, 2011 12:59 AM
  • If you are referring to a retail edition of Office Small Business 2007, the license agreement states it is licensed for one (1) installation on a desktop PC and one (1) installation on a laptop or notebook PC that is owned by the purchaser of the license.  Thus, the license is not a "3 user license".

Please see: Microsoft Software License Terms (MSLT) for the 2007 Microsoft Office system

Quote:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device. That device is the �??licensed device.�?� A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software on the licensed device.

b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

Carey Frisch

Carey, small correction.  The first paragraph of yours is incorrect. The actual quote you made is.  You mentioned the word Desktop PC and there is no words to that effect in the current MSLT.  Years ago that was the wording and unfortunately many of us (me included) continue to sometime quote the old way.  It is now a licensed device and a portable...
    • Edited by LVTravel Monday, January 3, 2011 4:07 PM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 4:37 AM
  • Thank you for your quick replay Carey,

I do understand (to some degree) the licensing, and the devices etc. What I am after is to find out if the product has one or three official licenses.

Some stores sell (or sold) '3 packs' of office small business 2007.

Not sure if I can post links here, but I try an example:

http://www.bizrate.com/office-tax-accounting-software/microsoft-office-small-business-2007-for-pc-3-users--pid562958946/

or

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116667CVF

In short, you pay ~ 200$, you get office for one user/device, you pay ~600 you get it for three.

Let me try it from another angle, if I would buy one of those '3packs'. Would I:

A) receive 3 independent product keys, one for each device/user 

or

B) receive 1 product key and use this one key to install it on 3 devices?

Sorry if I didn't make my self clear the first time. Maybe this is simple question, maybe everyone knows that MS product keys are always a 1:1 relationship (unless it's VLK, which it is not).

One key = One user. If that's the case, I would have three product keys, if it is a '3 pack'. ( I only have one product key)

Regards

Andreas

Monday, January 3, 2011 2:22 PM
  • "Byte-It" wrote in message news:42649354-1030-46e9-9ae6-ff8bf5d91a11...

Thank you for your quick replay Carey,

I do understand (to some degree) the licensing, and the devices etc. What I am after is to find out if the product has one or three official licenses.

Some stores sell (or sold) '3 packs' of office small business 2007.

Not sure if I can post links here, but I try an example:

http://www.bizrate.com/office-tax-accounting-software/microsoft-office-small-business-2007-for-pc-3-users--pid562958946/

or

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116667CVF

In short, you pay ~ 200$, you get office for one user/device, you pay ~600 you get it for three.

Let me try it from another angle, if I would buy one of those '3packs'. Would I:

A) receive 3 independent product keys, one for each device/user 

or

B) receive 1 product key and use this one key to install it on 3 devices?

Sorry if I didn't make my self clear the first time. Maybe this is simple question, maybe everyone knows that MS product keys are always a 1:1 relationship (unless it's VLK, which it is not).

One key = One user. If that's the case, I would have three product keys, if it is a '3 pack'. ( I only have one product key)

Regards

Andreas

3-pack licenses of this kind are OEM licenses, and should not be used for installation on end-user machines
    (read the licensing part of the newegg sales pitch)
    The eBay listings for the 3-packs are almost certainly counterfeits based on MSDN licenses
    The VioSoftware ones have a problem - if you look at the negative feedback on nextag, it is mostly to do with possible counterfeit software!
    The Royal Discount site appears genuine.
    You should receive 3 keys - each of which can ONLY be used on the first machine on which it is installed - and three sets of disks.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hello Byte-It,

Your client has Office Small Business 2007.

This could have been sold to the client in one of five ways:

1.  Full packaged product, full retail license.  Rounded corner clear plastic box with pivoting disc tray, Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the top edge of the box, hologrammed installation disc(s) inside, product key printed on a yellow orange Proof of License label affixed to the pivoting tray.  Licnesed for two devices:  the primary license holder's "main" computer (usually but not always a desktop) and the primary license holder's "portable" (aka laptop) computer.  License permits movement of license to another computer.

2.  Full packaged product, upgrade license.  Same materials as above, except product and disc is clearly labeled "upgrade."  The product will not install unless there is a qualifying upgradeable product either installed on the computer, or such upgradeable product's installation disc is available to be inserted into the computer during setup.  Licensed for use on one computer.  License permites movement of license to another computer.

3.  Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) license preinstalled on the computer at the time of manufacture/assembly.  This product is usually supplied in a plain white cardboard sleeve with the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the cardboard sleeve.  OEM software has the Product Key printed on the CoA.  If the product was purchased with a major name brand computer, the CoA will have that company's name printed on the CoA.  If the product was sold in the "systembuilder" channel (authorized Microsoft distributors sell product at wholesale to smaller computer builders and local Mom-n-Pop computer stores thru the systembuilder channel), the product's CoA will have "OEM Product" or "OEM software" printed on the CoA in place of the major computer manufacturer's name.  OEM licenses are permanently tied to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  When the computer dies, the OEM software license dies with it.

4.  Trial product downloaded directly to each individual computer from Microsoft's Try Office website.  After the Trial period is over, the client would have had to either purchase a product key directly from Microsoft to activate the installations, or, the client could hahe used product keys from full retail packaged product (#1 above) to convert the Trials to perpetually licensed product.

5.  Trial product preinstalled on each computer by the manufacturer or value-added reseller called the "Office Ready PC."  This installation came thru as a Trial of Office that could be activated as one of three prepetually licensed products depending upon which product key the client purchased and used for activation.  The product keys were sold as "MediaLess Licensing Kits (MLK)" and function very similarly to Office 2010's Product Key Cards.  The license activated with an MLK is an OEM license that is permanently tied to the computer onto which it is first installed.

The "3-user packs" you are asking about could have been a 3-pack of MLK licenses, one product key per pack.  Or the 3-pack could have been a 3-pack of systembuilder/OEM Office licenses, again, one product key per pack.

Under either of those 3-pack situations, since these are OEM licenses, there should be one distinct product key each per computer, for a total of three separate and distinct product keys.  As OEM licenses, these are permanently tied to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  When the computer dies, the OEM software license dies with it.

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Byte-It Monday, January 3, 2011 6:39 PM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Thank you very much  Dan and Noel

This was the information I was looking for. It is most likely the version you state under

1.  Full packaged product, full retail license.

So one Key, one user.

I am going to mark Dan's answer as Answered, since it is the more complete.

On a side note: You are kidding when you say does are mostly 'counterfeit'. They do show up on many rather well known retail sites. I think Amazon does have 3 packs as well, or used to. I would never question sources like Amazon, Tigerdirect or alike. Maybe I have to change that.

Anyhow, Thank you very much

Regards

Andreas

Monday, January 3, 2011 6:39 PM
  • You misunderstood Noel's answer.  The 3 pack he was referring to as pirated is actually a MSDN license or other volume type license that is repeatedly counterfeited, packaged and sold.  The only way people can get the three installations (and they will eventually become non-genuine) is install them early before Microsoft blocks the license keys for misuse.  These are the ones frequently sold on eBay, Amazon MARKETPLACE and many of the other online retailers are bogus.  If it looks too good a price it probably is.  (Amazon.com and "fulfilled by Amazon" sites on their page are OK and safe to purchase from.)

The 3 pack OEM from Amazon.com , NewEgg, Tiger Direct and the like are OK.  The issue there is that they can only be installed onto one computer each and the licenses die with the computer (can never be transferred to any other computer.)
    Monday, January 3, 2011 9:37 PM