locked
Adding contact "disables" presence RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm in the process of deploying OCS 2007 and have run into a very strange problem.

    The initial deployment just includes the (8) people in our group.  If I have all 8 people in my contact list, every person shows up with "presence unknown".  However, if I remove a specific user, the presence for the remaining members in the list shows up correctly.  The strange part is it doesn't matter how many contacts are in the list.  As soon as I add the "offending" contact, all presence becomes unknown.  As soon as I remove this same contact, presence is correct.  BTW, this person is also having trouble connecting the the (front-end) server.  (I don't know the exact failure yet.)

    With any of the 7 "good" contacts, I don't have any problems creating IM, audio, or video conferences; two party or multi-party.  For the video conferencing, I have used RoundTable and webcams.

    The configuration is an extended enterprise configuration with W2K8 R2 systems running 1) FES, 2) A/V Server, and 3) Archive & CDR Server.  This is in addition to other systems in the domain running SQL Server 2005 Enterprise, AD Server, SharePoint, etc.

    BTW, because this person cannot even connect to the FES, I don't expect it is an issue with their system.  The only other piece which may be of significance is I had to uninstall all the OCS software from all the OCS server systems (FES, AV, and Archive/CDR) and reinstall it.  The SQL Server and AD systems were untouched; i.e., the SQL pool/tables were not removed nor were the AD schema extensions removed.

    Any ideas where to look?

    - Mark
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:07 PM

Answers

  • Well,I have managed to solve the issue, although it was with a rather large hammer.

     

    Because of all the problems I was having with the Expanded topology, I started over trying a Consolidated topoligy.  Unfortunately, the RemovePool operation didn't clean up AD as well as necessary to allow the Consolidated installation to succeed.  (There were bits and pieces left around referencing the original Expanded topoligy.  Which, because different machines were involved caused problems.)

     

    After trying to do the least invasive cleanup to solve the Consolidated installation, I finally wound up using ADSI Edit and deleting RTC Service and all the children.  The the installation was able to succeed.

     

    Be aware, however, this will remove other things as well.  The one I stumbled across was the custom OCS policy created.  Also, because this is currently a very small (test) deployment, re-entering information wasn't a real big problem.

     

    - Mark

    Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:39 PM

All replies

  • I would guess that something was left over in the SQL databases when you performed the uninstall/reinstall and that contact is someone corrupted either in the SQL database or something is wrong with it's msRTCSIP attributes in AD.

    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:57 PM
    Moderator
  • I used ADSI Edit to look over the various msRTCSIP attributes for a working contact and the problem contact, and I didn't see any differences in any of the attributes.  All had the same values, except for the PrimaryUserAddress which is expected.

    Looking at the various tables for rtc, rtcconfig, and rtcdyn, it isn't real clear to me where the information might be which would affect presence.  I'm still looking for anything which would be on a per-user basis.

    So far, no luck.

    - Mark

    Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Well,I have managed to solve the issue, although it was with a rather large hammer.

     

    Because of all the problems I was having with the Expanded topology, I started over trying a Consolidated topoligy.  Unfortunately, the RemovePool operation didn't clean up AD as well as necessary to allow the Consolidated installation to succeed.  (There were bits and pieces left around referencing the original Expanded topoligy.  Which, because different machines were involved caused problems.)

     

    After trying to do the least invasive cleanup to solve the Consolidated installation, I finally wound up using ADSI Edit and deleting RTC Service and all the children.  The the installation was able to succeed.

     

    Be aware, however, this will remove other things as well.  The one I stumbled across was the custom OCS policy created.  Also, because this is currently a very small (test) deployment, re-entering information wasn't a real big problem.

     

    - Mark

    Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:39 PM