Security model - BU or Teams? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've been searching high and low in books and online, but I think it is really hard for me to find any real source that can help me decide. We currently use Siebel and I am very well acquainted with Salesforce.com from another part of our corporation.

I am in the early stages of planning a migration from Siebel to MS CRM 2011 on premise. I am very We will do a simplified test run to ensure the model can hold. 

We need to limit access to a user to certain accounts and the attached contacts, cases and activities.

Our relevant requirements is:

We have local offices in 50-60 locations, covering usually either a country or a number of countries - or assisting. For example:

• Office A services country A
    • Office B service country B
    • Office C services both countries A, B and C.
    • Office D may service country B and D.
    • Office E services counties B, D and E. 
    • HQ needs to see all across the whole org
    • Occasionally a user will visit another area and need access extended for 1-12 weeks.

E-mail templates for automatic as well as manually send e-mails should be configurable per country. 

What is the advises setup here? Should we use a BU per office (and then accept that some offices may need to be allowed more access than necesarry) or would Teams be a better flexible solution?

I was looking into automatic assigning the account to a team based on the country_1 field using a workflow, but is that the optimal way?

Thank you very much in advance for your hints.

Nicolai

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:40 PM

Answers

• sveroa's comment is definitely valid, and a save way to go about it.

My question about the offices are if they're different reporting entities with different leadership, and different processes.  If they are, then definitely give them different business units.  If that isn't the case, Teams alone might be a much simpler way to handle things.  You can still restrict who views what by their team membership without having to deal with the extra layer of BUs if you don't need to actually separate out functional business units.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:07 PM
  • I would have used business unit for all you locations, and use Teams to share accounts across BUs.

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa
    Senior Consultant, EVRY as
    Blog: Notebook, trick & tips
    Please mark as answer or helpful if my post is useful

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:57 PM

All replies

• I would have used business unit for all you locations, and use Teams to share accounts across BUs.

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:57 PM
  • sveroa's comment is definitely valid, and a save way to go about it.

My question about the offices are if they're different reporting entities with different leadership, and different processes.  If they are, then definitely give them different business units.  If that isn't the case, Teams alone might be a much simpler way to handle things.  You can still restrict who views what by their team membership without having to deal with the extra layer of BUs if you don't need to actually separate out functional business units.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Yes, my post is just a recommendation from a former collegue of mine. I haven't done much of this kind of configuration myself, but haven't got any complaints after forwarding the recommandation to customers :)

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Just a quick clarification before I turn in (it's late here). 

We are only using the system for service and support, no leads, opportunities or other sales stuff. So I assume reporting is really not an issue.

Sveroa - hadn't thought of using teams for sharing - will definitely consider that route as well. I'll do some more thinking tomorrow.

Thank's for now, I'll report back later.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:19 PM
  • I will redirect your case to our course instructor tomorrow. I'm attending a CRM workshop for advanced installation and deployment this week.

UPDATE: we hadn't enough time to discuss this topic today, but the instructor confirmed my way of doing it, but this can also be solved by using only teams.

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:28 PM
  • If this is the case, I would think teams would be easiest.  The most relevant part of using Business Units are if you have managers responsible for support metrics and need to be able to pull reporting and KPIs from how their office is performing.  Especially if the offices are allowed to use different business processes.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:28 PM
  • hi Nicolai,

look at this post, might help you.

Thanks and Regards. Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Hi Wayne and Sveroa,

Thank you very much for your help. I think we will start out with a single BU and use teams. This is only going to be used as a support/ticket database, all sales in our corporation is handled in other systems.

I am aware of the impediments and we may decide to change direction later on - but this is an early pilot, based on this we will decide if we can meet our requirements right away.

Now on to other issues in separat threads :)

Best regards
    Nicolai W Hjorth

Monday, December 3, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Nicolay....mark Wayne's post as answer, not just purpose :)

Roar Jørstad aka sveroa

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Nicolay....mark Wayne's post as answer, not just purpose :)

Thank you for reminding me - I am just learning the features of this system.

It turns out I was logged in with the wrong Live ID so I did not see that option.

I am discontinuing one of them as soon as my real e-mail address can be reused (30 days grace period ends in about 5 days), so at that time I will have only one profile.

Br
    Nicolai

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:44 AM