Security Model in CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am working through setting up security for an organization and am having trouble deciding at which level to create security roles.  Here is my scenario:

1 Organization (creating this as Parent Business Unit 1)

2 Divisions within the Organization (creating these as Child Business Unit A and Child Business Unit B respectively)

If I create the security roles in the Child BUs, then I will not be able to export those roles with the solution when we move to production.  However, I cannot assign the roles to the Parent Business Unit 1 because I need users to only see records within Child Business Unit A.  Can anyone help me figure out how to configure the security role (if it is assigned at Parent Business Unit 1) so that the user will only see records in Child Business Unit A? Does this make sense?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hello ,

you have  parent BU  and for that you have two Child BU's A and B.

NOTE:- The best practice of creating security roles is to create them in root BU only. Being those roles can be inherited to all child units we can use them in every BU.

Since you want show the records of child BU A , you can create or assign that particular user to child BU A and assign  the corresponding role to him.

Thanks,

SASANK K
    • Proposed as answer by HIMBAPModerator Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by wikky2007 Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:39 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Hello,

From SDK

"You can create roles within Microsoft Dynamics CRM and modify or remove these custom roles to fit your business needs. The roles you create for your business unit are inherited by all the business units in the hierarchy."

So you should create security roles for your parent business unit.

I will suggest you to go through below links which will help you to understand security model in MS CRM 2011

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg334717.aspx

http://www.dynamicscrmtrickbag.com/2011/07/20/dynamics-crm-2011-security-roles/

Contact Me
    Follow me on Twitter
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

• Marked as answer by wikky2007 Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:40 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:13 AM

All replies

• You could create the business units under the organization with the appropriate rights to the entities as needed. Export the solution and put it into production then go into each business you need to and change the parent business unit to the proper business unit.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Hello ,

you have  parent BU  and for that you have two Child BU's A and B.

NOTE:- The best practice of creating security roles is to create them in root BU only. Being those roles can be inherited to all child units we can use them in every BU.

Since you want show the records of child BU A , you can create or assign that particular user to child BU A and assign  the corresponding role to him.

Thanks,

SASANK K
    • Marked as answer by wikky2007 Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:39 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Hello,

From SDK

"You can create roles within Microsoft Dynamics CRM and modify or remove these custom roles to fit your business needs. The roles you create for your business unit are inherited by all the business units in the hierarchy."

So you should create security roles for your parent business unit.

I will suggest you to go through below links which will help you to understand security model in MS CRM 2011

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg334717.aspx

http://www.dynamicscrmtrickbag.com/2011/07/20/dynamics-crm-2011-security-roles/

Contact Me
    Follow me on Twitter
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

• Marked as answer by wikky2007 Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:40 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:13 AM