none
Unable to access Home Server Console RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure what has happened, but recently I have noticed that I cannot access the WHS Console when I am on my own Home Network, I do not attempt Remote access, I use the WHS to back up around 7 PC's in the Home.

Apart from one of them all others fail to allow me to access the WHS Console, all PC's are XP SP3 and my Norton 360 2 Firewall is set to allow access from WHS.

When I try to access the Console I get an error indicating that the WHS could not be found, however if I try to access the shared folders from any PC all is fine?

Am I doing something stupid here ? does anyone have a suggestion please?

Thanks

John
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:31 PM

Answers

• Olaf,

In performing the checks you suggested I noticed that under ipconfig /all, the Belkin Router had included a default Belkin Domain name and it was referred to as the Connection - specific DNS suffix, which didn't sound right to me so i removed the name from the router ...and everything is now working. Not sure what this additional Domanin name was doing ....and still can't understand how one PC worked and the other failed.

THanks for you help

John
    • Marked as answer by ejwjohn_ Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:18 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:18 PM

All replies

• If I'm understanding correctly, then one of your systems is able to access the Console? What's different about this system?

In this scenario, I would suspect either a client firewall issue, or else a DNS resolution issue. For the first, try totally disabling Norton and see if that makes a difference. For the latter, you can try:
    - power down client, server, and router
    - unplug router from the internet
    - reboot all 3 systems
    - Try to access the console

If this works, then most likely your router is resolving your server name outside the local network. You can add a hosts file entry on the client PC to work around this.

I hope this helps.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:24 PM
  • John,

If you have the Toolkit already, it includes a Connector troubleshooter tool which could help. (Note that installation isn't quite 'normal', the instructions in it's associated document need to be followed).
    Also, from the Program Files/Windows Home Server folder on the Client, you could try running the program 'Discovery.exe', this will search your network for the server and reset the appropriate paths etc.

Has anything 'unusual' happened recently, re-boots, program changes/updates etc?

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Colin,

Nothing unusual has happened to my system except the usual Microsoft updates etc..

I tried the toolkit from the only workrign PC and the Server itself and I had what I consider an unuasul result when I ran the Firewall test.... after a while the Console screen closed on the Server and on the PC it went to a plain blue screen is this normal?

I ran the Discovery.exe on all PC and it appeared to work perfectly, but still could not get the COnsole to work.

THanks

John
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Alex,

The working PC (Client) has a similar configuration to all the others, but like the one of the failing clients it is an XP system operating via Virtualization software on a MAC OSX, all my "Real" PC's fail to access the server via the console.

I have disabled all Firewall software in teh clients and it make no difference.

I performed you suggestion in regard to the clients, Server and Router and all worked fine until I reconnected the router to the internet.

And the client that used to work still works .....this is the really confusing part  for me .....

So how do I get around this  please?

THank You

John
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Hi John,
    you may experience a name resolution problem on your client PCs.
    Please give some more details. On one not functioning, on the functioning and on the server itself open a command prompt and run the command
    ipconfig /all
    Post the output here for further diagnostics.
    Can you ping your home server from the not functioning machines by name and by IP address with the ping command from the command prompt?
    ping server
    ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    (replace the x values with the known IP address of your server.

From one of the not functioning machines: What is the result of
    nslookup server
    (replace server with the proper name of your home server)
    and of
    nbtstat -A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    (again the IP address of your server)

Did you edit at any time the hosts file on the clients for troubleshooting purposes, which may point after a changed IP address of the server to the wrong address?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Olaf,

In performing the checks you suggested I noticed that under ipconfig /all, the Belkin Router had included a default Belkin Domain name and it was referred to as the Connection - specific DNS suffix, which didn't sound right to me so i removed the name from the router ...and everything is now working. Not sure what this additional Domanin name was doing ....and still can't understand how one PC worked and the other failed.

THanks for you help

John
    • Marked as answer by ejwjohn_ Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:18 PM
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:18 PM