Problems with computer backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently finished building my WHS 2011 Server with no major issues during the process. I have a 320Gb HDD as the boot drive/D drive and two other 1.5Tb HDD which were added once the build was complete.

After installing the additional drives I moved all the server shares with the exception of the Client Backup folder to the 1st of the othe disks. I am getting every Client Backup task fail on all three of my clients. I initially did think it was something to do with my clients going to sleep during the backup process but I have now had a look at the event viewer on the server. For each backup failure I am getting a device not ready message but the disk is not showing any signs of problems with any forms of diagnostics I try.

I will try moving the backups folder but is there any known issues with this service?

25 years of loving (and too often hating) everything Microsoft.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:20 AM

Answers

• The problem has turned out to be the onboard network interface. I presume the routine activity has not shown up an error due to the relatively low throughput however backups produce a fairly continuous data stream which fails the interface.

I have installed a PCI network card and those system s that had failed now backup correctly. I only spotted it because as one system failed its backup the connect light on the switch had gone out. Nothing in the event log and the lan lights on the server were still active. The light indicates carrier signal on the receive pair so the fact that the switch end had gone out tells me that no carrier was being generated by the server interface. Obviously I also checked the cables, plug seating etc.

• Marked as answer by Hairy Fool Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:31 AM
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:30 AM

All replies

• Your backups may have filled the remaining available space on the system drive. With a smaller drive and several clients, this is likely to happen pretty quickly.

You can move the backup database just like any other folder shown in the Dashboard.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:07 PM
  • While not strictly necessary, I recommend giving the client backup folder its own dedicated disk if you have the option. It's just cleaner, and allows for growth of the client backup database without regard for the 2Tb volume limitation on the server (for volumes that participate in server backup).

In my case, I have one machine with about 2.5Tb of local data, and have used disk spanning on the server (Windows software RAID) to make a 4Tb volume exclusively for client backup.  I don't have a requirement to "back up the backups", so this works for me.  I could not do this for any volume that also contained shared folders as they could no longer be backed up at the server.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:57 PM
  • The problem has turned out to be the onboard network interface. I presume the routine activity has not shown up an error due to the relatively low throughput however backups produce a fairly continuous data stream which fails the interface.

I have installed a PCI network card and those system s that had failed now backup correctly. I only spotted it because as one system failed its backup the connect light on the switch had gone out. Nothing in the event log and the lan lights on the server were still active. The light indicates carrier signal on the receive pair so the fact that the switch end had gone out tells me that no carrier was being generated by the server interface. Obviously I also checked the cables, plug seating etc.

• Marked as answer by Hairy Fool Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:31 AM
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:30 AM
  • I have read a lot of your replies, and I must say Thank you. I just installed WHS 2011 and spent the day hooking up all of my PC's. The next morning I discovered that there was not enough space, and it filled up the system drive.  I am finding that this portion of the setup is vague, at least for me. I have been looking for 2 days on forums and found yours today. 

Let me understand, I can just click on the client backup folder and redirect it to the other drive on the server?

Right click and boom? its done? I understand that if I want to combine all of my storage drives I simply make an array of them, but I was having trouble directing it to them.  Thanks again for the use of your answer pool.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Not quite. You need to run the "Move Folder Wizard" in the Dashboard.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:16 PM