locked
"Passwords do not match" / but they do / and there are no other problems RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    I know this is going to look a lot like a repeat thread, but the exact problem I'm having does not appear to be resolved in any previous password related threads, so please read carefully.  Also, I think other people have had this problem and have either gone to extreme measures (deleting and re-adding accounts) or have simply been able to live with the problem.

     

    So, here it is:

     

    1. When I log in to my Vista computer, I get the "Passwords do not match" message.  This does not happen with the same account on my two Windows XP Pro machines.
    2. The passwords actually do match.
      1. If I update the password, keeping the Server password (and I think the other way as well), it updates succesfully, but doesn't accomplish anything...I'll see the message again next time, no functionality changes.
    3. I'm not actually kept from reaching any of my personal shared folders.  Everything works just fine as if there isn't a password problem (I suppose this makes sense since there really isn't a password problem).

    So, as you can see, functionally, I don't have a problem at all.  Just an annoyance in the form of a little message that pops up whenever I boot up my computer.

     

    The only solution I've read of in the forums that appears to work is to delete and re-create user accounts.  I didn't bother to ask if it was just the user account on the server, or if it was the windows user account as well.  Either way would be a bit of a pain for me as both contain a lot of information.  Not to mention, it feels like a "dirty" solution to me.  I will probably just live with the anoyance if that is the only solution.

     

    Hopefully I have been clear with my description of the problem.  I assume some other people with this problem are getting advice on fixing an "actual" problem as opposed to this real annoyance.

     

    Thanks in advance for any advice or information that anyone is able to give.

    Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:33 AM

All replies

  • The account is deleted from WHS, not the client machine.  It's pretty easy - just copy the files from the personal shares to a public share, delete the account, recreate the account, and copy everything back.  It's a pain, but it's not too terribly painful.

    I'm guessing you've already remove the connector software, rebooted, and reinstalled the connector software on the Vista client?
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 1:46 AM
  •  Z-Ice wrote:

     

    I know this is going to look a lot like a repeat thread, but the exact problem I'm having does not appear to be resolved in any previous password related threads, so please read carefully.  Also, I think other people have had this problem and have either gone to extreme measures (deleting and re-adding accounts) or have simply been able to live with the problem.

     

    So, here it is:

     

    1. When I log in to my Vista computer, I get the "Passwords do not match" message.  This does not happen with the same account on my two Windows XP Pro machines.
    2. The passwords actually do match.
      1. If I update the password, keeping the Server password (and I think the other way as well), it updates succesfully, but doesn't accomplish anything...I'll see the message again next time, no functionality changes.
    3. I'm not actually kept from reaching any of my personal shared folders.  Everything works just fine as if there isn't a password problem (I suppose this makes sense since there really isn't a password problem).

    So, as you can see, functionally, I don't have a problem at all.  Just an annoyance in the form of a little message that pops up whenever I boot up my computer.

     

    The only solution I've read of in the forums that appears to work is to delete and re-create user accounts.  I didn't bother to ask if it was just the user account on the server, or if it was the windows user account as well.  Either way would be a bit of a pain for me as both contain a lot of information.  Not to mention, it feels like a "dirty" solution to me.  I will probably just live with the anoyance if that is the only solution.

     

    Hopefully I have been clear with my description of the problem.  I assume some other people with this problem are getting advice on fixing an "actual" problem as opposed to this real annoyance.

     

    Thanks in advance for any advice or information that anyone is able to give.

     

    Did you already all of the possible solutions listed in this thread?  (There are 3 different possible solutions in that thread, you might want to try all of those if you haven't already.)

    Saturday, June 7, 2008 2:04 AM
    Moderator
  •  kegobeer wrote:

    I'm guessing you've already remove the connector software, rebooted, and reinstalled the connector software on the Vista client?

     

    Umm...no...   I supose that's a pretty obvious first step.  I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  Thanks kegobeer.

    Saturday, June 7, 2008 5:02 PM
  •  Z-Ice wrote:

     kegobeer wrote:

    I'm guessing you've already remove the connector software, rebooted, and reinstalled the connector software on the Vista client?

     

    Umm...no...   I supose that's a pretty obvious first step.  I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  Thanks kegobeer.

     

    Ok, I've tried this without success.

     

    Kegobeer, I also tried deleting and recreating my WHS user account, again without success.  It was a bit easier than I had anticipated, but it took forever to move the data back and forth.

     

     

     kariya21 wrote:

    Did you already all of the possible solutions listed in this thread?  (There are 3 different possible solutions in that thread, you might want to try all of those if you haven't already.)

     

    Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure why I would attempt solutions found in that thread.  The original poster has a much different problem than I do and none of the solutions were verified to work for his problem, much less my problem.

     

    Has anyone else had the problem I'm having and been able to fix it?

    Saturday, June 7, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  Z-Ice wrote:
    Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure why I would attempt solutions found in that thread.  The original poster has a much different problem than I do and none of the solutions were verified to work for his problem, much less my problem.

     

    Has anyone else had the problem I'm having and been able to fix it?

     

    At the very least, try the control passwords2 from the thread I posted.

    Saturday, June 7, 2008 8:32 PM
    Moderator
  • I have recently experienced a similar problem, where I get the "passwords do not match" message when logging into the WHS console. Like others, above, I have still been able to access shares on WHS and it appears that the only issue is console access.

    My solution - certainly not the best option - was: 1) to assure that no users had open files on the WHS and then; 2) "hard" reboot the server. It was not elegant, since I could not access the console to do a normal shutdown, however once the server rebooted, all the proper password access was restored and all clients were able to function normally.

    I suspect that WHS occasionally has amnesia, and that when it restarts, those memory cobwebs are cleared. It certainly does NOT appear that the client machines are having a problem, as they are able to properly access the server after only the server has been restarted - i.e. no client logout/login required.

    Hope this is helpful....

    Saturday, September 11, 2010 5:29 AM
  • I know this is and old post, but I had a similar issue and none of this helped, but I did fix it.

    My Home server had lost it's Time so it was reset back to 2003 and apparently when the time on the desktop and the server get way out of each other the credentials get very wonky.  I was able to get on Via Remote desktop, so I just reset the time and it all worked fine.  Hope this helps someone save the Hours of frustration I had working with this problem.

    • Proposed as answer by PC Murdoch Sunday, February 4, 2018 12:19 AM
    Sunday, December 21, 2014 3:22 PM