Windows Live OneCare Firewall has stopped working and was closed RRS feed

• Question

• Upon startup of my computer this happens. When I press close it pops up again and again.

If you need anymore info to help me out here just say so and I'll be back in an hour or so to check up on this post.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:41 AM

Answers

• Steve-

Well, I wanted to see if I could get the latest drivers to work and I did.  I downloaded the latest nForce 680i drivers (nforce_winvista32_15.08_english) from NVIDIA's website and re-installed everything that came packaged with them.  Rebooted the pc and the OneCare Firewall was turned off when I logged back in.  I then went into Control Panel\Programs and Features and uninstalled NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager.  When it asked me if I wanted to restart, I said no, just to see if OneCare Firewall would work yet and it did, the OneCare Firewall was turned on and the OC Status was Good (green)!  I rebooted and OneCare is still working properly.

Note:  I installed and un-installed them several times just to make sure this is the fix/work-around.  Everytime I installed the network access manager, OneCare did not function properly.

From what I have read, the nForce drivers come packaged with NVIDIA's Active Armor Firewall.  This firewall integrates into the Microsoft TCP Chimney Architecture which then offloads all firewall characteristics to the NVIDIA chipset instead of the OS, or OneCare in our case.  While I agree that this is a very nice feature since it does not utilize the cpu to process the firewall rules, there is no way to turn it off in Vista other than removing it. (At least I didn't find a way)

I hope this will help everyone having problems. 

Brian

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:56 AM

All replies

• I am having this exact same issue!!  I was convinced that something was wrong with the hardware after I cleanly reformatted the system and the exact same issue resurfaced when I rebooted after the installation.

The information in Event Viewer that I have is:

Faulting application msfwsvc.exe, version 2.1.1290.0, time stamp 0x46f05c37, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000af1c9, process id 0x620, application start time 0x01c830a5c9c3f960.

However, this of course doesn't lend a lot...and I have no idea where I could pull more information surrounding it, because there isn't

The only possible miniscule thread I can offer is that I have an Nvidia 680i motherboard, and nvappfilter.dll apparently causes all sorts of random issues with programs that demand direct network access.  The only thought is that they're competing.

I can offer the same as far as logs or system results and I want to point out I also get random crashes from IE7 fauliting in ntdll.dll, but that's about all I have for rhyme and/or reason surrounding the crash.

If anyone out there has any idea around this, it would help.

Cheers.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:39 AM
  • I also have a Nvidia 680i (EVGA) so that could possibly be the problem.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:28 AM
  • Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:03 PM
  •  

I am having this problem as well.   New PC (custom built) with Abit IN9-32X-MAX -Wifi motherboard which has NVidia NForce 680i SLI running Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Stephen, I will try the firewall repair tool and post my results....

Brian Thompson

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:21 PM
  •  brianmcp wrote:

I am having this problem as well.   New PC (custom built) with Abit IN9-32X-MAX -Wifi motherboard which has NVidia NForce 680i SLI running Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Stephen, I will try the firewall repair tool and post my results....

Brian Thompson

Well, It did not work for me... Some History ...

Installed OneCare and had firewall service stopped working and OneCare User Agent has stopped working problems

uninstalled OneCare - rebooted

ran OneCare Cleanup tool - rebooted

re-installed OneCare - same firewall and OneCare User Agent problems

checked the PATH settings in Environment Variables

uninstalled MSMXL 4.0 and re-installed - rebooted - same firewall and OneCare User Agent problems

uninstalled OneCare - rebooted

ran OneCare Cleanup tool - rebooted

re-installed OneCare - same firewall and OneCare User Agent problems

ran firewall cleanup tool - rebooted - same firewall and OneCare User Agent problems

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Thanks for the udpate, Brian. I've unmarked my answer. I've notified the OneCare team, but if you don't already have an open support case for the problem, please contact support.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:52 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Thanks for the udpate, Brian. I've unmarked my answer. I've notified the OneCare team, but if you don't already have an open support case for the problem, please contact support.

-steve

Stephen-

I am chatting with support now and will let you know the results.

P.S. I have been a part of the OneCare Perpetual Beta since 04/2006 and have not had these problems until I built this new machine.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Brian,

Same thing for me.  I've been using Onecare since initial beta around the same time.  This happened just a couple months ago (unfortunately I didn't pinpoint it to a date) when an beta refresh was released.

At the time I was having what seemed to be video card errors, so brushed it off as either hardware or OS based and thought nothing of it.  As I said above, reinstalling the OS kinda sent that theory out the Window.

Stephen, I'm also going to contact support and raise the issue with them.  I will also try the firewall repair tool and let you know the results.

Cheers,

Kurtis

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:12 AM
  • Hi Sychophant!

Everytime I launch my computer I see a RED icon w/ a white X.  When I click on it, my Windows Security Center pops up and my Windows Firewall Protection is turned off.  To correct this, I clich on the Firewall Off button to turn it back on.  Problem is: "the Firewall dialogue pops up and I cannot select the GREEN icon w/ a white checkmark because it's grayed out."  Do you have any suggestions on how I can keep my Firewall active at all times?

Thank you!  Weener 

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Stephen-

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday, been having problems posting to the forum....

Anyway, I spoke with support yesterday for about 2 1/2 hours.  they controlled my PC and tried different things to get it working to no avail.  after all of this, found out that it has to be escalated to higher tech support!  Well, they are supposed to call me back within 72 hours.  I'll update when I get more info.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:56 PM
  • I'll await further updates, Brian.

Thanks.

-steve

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:56 PM
  •  Marlene M. Wallace wrote:

Hi Sychophant!

Everytime I launch my computer I see a RED icon w/ a white X.  When I click on it, my Windows Security Center pops up and my Windows Firewall Protection is turned off.  To correct this, I clich on the Firewall Off button to turn it back on.  Problem is: "the Firewall dialogue pops up and I cannot select the GREEN icon w/ a white checkmark because it's grayed out."  Do you have any suggestions on how I can keep my Firewall active at all times?

Thank you!  Weener 

Are you using Windows Live OneCare?

If so, the Windows Firewall *should* be off, but the Windows Live OneCare firewall should be on and reporting this status to the Windows Security Center. If your OneCare firewall is off, contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you are not using OneCare, you're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Windows XP newsgroups here: http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/Default.aspx

-steve

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:59 PM
  • I'm pretty confident that this is indeed a conflict with the 680i motherboard and/or it's drivers. I've got three machines, two of which have this exact issue and have 680i motherboards. The third machine runs the OneCare firewall great.

I did find this thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=46286 

Though the resolution didn't seem to work...

Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:52 AM
  • I also have a brand new 680i based motherboard that is having this same problem. I thought it was Vista that was causing the problem....
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Hello, all.

In the last couple of days, I built a machine with the 680i chipset as well.  I am encountering the same problem as everyone else here and agree that the chipset drivers seem to be the problem.  Also, I'm running Vista 32-bit Home Premium if that matters at all.

Here's how this went:
     - Installed OneCare (and I DO have a paid subscription)
     - Restarted
     - Initially, I didn't see any problems out of it
     - Updated chipset drivers (at least I'm pretty sure I did)
     - Ran into the error being described in this thread (note that Event Viewer shows the Firewall service as starting but provides no erro information - I assume this is because it is dying cleanly as per the nice little dialog box we receive)

Here's the problem-solving process I used
     - Found this thread yesterday
     - Uninstalled OneCare
     - Ran the OneCare Cleanup Tool
     - Restarted
     - Shutoff Windows Firewall and Windows Defender
     - Verified that no other anti-virus or anti-malware is installed (let alone running) on my system
     - Uninstalled and Reinstalled MSXML 4.0 SP2
     - Restarted
     - Reinstalled OneCare (and I have verified that it is version 2.0)
     - Did NOT restart (as to avoid the problem of the service being started only to die on me)
     - Ran the OneCare Firewall Repair Tool (as per the instruction here)
     - Restarted

And I ran into the problem again.

At that point, I chatted online with a support agent.  They suggested that I go into the OneCare staging directory and manually uninstall, restart, and reinstall the WinSS.msi package.  I did so. For some reason, the reinstallation failed so I had to run the Cleanup tool again.  Reinstalled and ran the appropriate Repair tools.

No good.

So I called an agent.  His efforts are very appreciated, but he didn't do much more than I already had and no futher error messages were produced.  So we called it quits after a few hours (I needed to sleep so I can work today).  I told him about this thread and suggested that I would speak with EVGA about the problem.

I'm hoping that someone with some speaking authority at Microsoft will ask EVGA to investigate this matter.  I'm willing to use my machine as a testbed or for monitoring or whatever.  Anything that will help fix this.

So that's where I'm at.  I thought I'd post here so that if someone important at either MS or EVGA finds this, they'll have more data to use.

Thanks for any assistance anyone here can offer.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:06 PM
  • I am using an ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel mobo whith Vista Ultimate installed. This was a brand new build so I wasn't sure what was causing the problem but now it seems a pattern of the 680i chipset could be an issue here.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:12 PM
  •  james_cline_ wrote:
    ... it seems a pattern of the 680i chipset could be an issue here.

Like I said, it may be the latest round of chipset drivers.  If I recall (and this is a bit shaky since I wasn't paying attention to when I updated the drivers), this only started after I updated the drivers.  But it's hard to tell exactly where the problem is - nvidia probably doesn't want their drivers being reverse-engineered.

I'm not sure what to think about the fact that it's not just EVGA boards doing it.  It's got to be an nVidia problem, but what to do about it?  Does this make it easier or harder to deal with?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 4:42 PM
  • Well, IMO, Microsoft needs to address this since it manifests itself in their software. I am a software engineer and even though I'd say good portion of my problems with clients has been other stuff that messes with our software, it is always us that has to figure out (and resolve/workaround) the problem....so OneCare doesn't work, OneCare developers need to find a solution...even if that means contacting nVidia about their latest drivers...
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:04 PM
  •  james_cline_ wrote:
    ...so OneCare doesn't work, OneCare developers need to find a solution...even if that means contacting nVidia about their latest drivers...

I agree with your assesment.  I also work as a software engineer and this is what I've been suggesting.  Even if Microsoft can't fix the problem themselves, they should take responsibility to handle a solution - even if this needs to climb the foodchain.

If anyone from Microsoft sees this...

I paid for a subscription to OneCare even when I knew Microsoft could not (at this time) provide a working solution to this problem  ONLY because I want to use OneCare for its feature list.  Please contact nVidia and work out a solution even if this involves going to your bosses' bosses' boss.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:37 PM
  • I have alerted Microsoft about this thread, so I do expect it is being looked into.

I noted that you worked with support - please follow-up with support, if you could, and request that your problem be escalated if it is not already closed. For those who are encountering this problem who also expect the cause to be similar, please contact support and request escalation of the problem. Your cases should not be closed by Support until the problem is resolved.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:42 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
    ... please follow-up with support, if you could, and request that your problem be escalated if it is not already closed.

They closed mine as unresolvable, but they did say that I could reopen it if I wanted to.  What, if anything, will escalating the case do for us?  Is it intended, in this case, to draw attention to the problem?  Or will it result in support that we have not received yet, such as more advanced error detection methods?

If you think it will help the problem to escalate my case, I will.  But I'm a little learly of that since the support I've been given so far was simply to repeat what I had done several times before.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Hi, Joel. Asking to have the case escalated will have the next level of support look into it, possibly working with you directly and gathering much more information if you are willing to allow that. If they are unable to resolve it, the problem can be escalated further and eventually to the developers via support. However, as I've noted, I have reported this to the OneCare team directly and pointed out this thread. I've not heard back, but suspect that I will be getting a request to gather some support logs from those who are reporting this problem. The support logs, if you haven't encountered this before, are created by running an exe file in the OneCare program directory. It grabs a bunch of data about the installation and status as well as system and process information and puts it all together in a zip file for sending and ultimately analysis.

-steve

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:24 AM
  • Thanks for the explaination.  I have contacted the Windows Live support people and asked that the case be reopened and escalated.

For any Microsoft Live support agent reading this, I am willing to assist in any way I can with providing logs and the like.
    Friday, November 30, 2007 3:03 AM
  • Joel, any resolution yet?
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 11:57 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Yes, I am using Windows Live OneCare and again the Firewall is turned off which concerns me.  Thanks for the "Support Link!"  -Marlene

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Stephen-

I am still waiting for support to get back with me.  I was told not to contact them aqs it would start my process over again.  They were supposed to contact me within 72 hours. It has been 5 days now.  I will try to call again tomorrow.  I may format my machine and try from there to see if it works with the shipping drivers. If it does work, i will start installing the newer drivers to see when it breaks. 

Brian

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:53 AM
  • Brian, can you provide your Case number for support? And thanks for the efforts on your part to identify the problem details. I've notified the OneCare team and they are investigating.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:05 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Brian, can you provide your Case number for support? And thanks for the efforts on your part to identify the problem details. I've notified the OneCare team and they are investigating.

-steve

Steve-

My case number is 1050970765.  I am going to try to contact them tomorrow. 

Thanks for your help-

Brian

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Hey Steve,

I also have case # 1051026143 open.  I pursued support through email but haven't had any response since the last reply on Thursday.  I am pursuing support over email, but if there is any reason to call in I'm happy to do the same.

Cheers,

Kurtis

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:06 AM
  •  

Steve-

I uninstalled (and deleted) the drivers for my network adapter (NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller) and the OneCare Firewall instantly turned on and I now have a green OneCare icon!! Smile

During the uninstallation, it  removed 3 things.  NVIDIA Active Armor, NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager and the drivers.  At the end of the process, windows automatically installed the drivers for the network adapter and everything is running great now.  I have rebooted twice now, just to see if anything else would re-populate itself. 

I am going to re-install the NVIDIA drivers starting from a few months back until I can find which version breaks OC.  Once I find this out, I will post an update.

Current NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller driver version I am on now is inicluded with Vista Ultimate. ( 65.7.4.0 dated 5/3/2007 )

Brian

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:27 AM
  • Steve-

Well, I wanted to see if I could get the latest drivers to work and I did.  I downloaded the latest nForce 680i drivers (nforce_winvista32_15.08_english) from NVIDIA's website and re-installed everything that came packaged with them.  Rebooted the pc and the OneCare Firewall was turned off when I logged back in.  I then went into Control Panel\Programs and Features and uninstalled NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager.  When it asked me if I wanted to restart, I said no, just to see if OneCare Firewall would work yet and it did, the OneCare Firewall was turned on and the OC Status was Good (green)!  I rebooted and OneCare is still working properly.

Note:  I installed and un-installed them several times just to make sure this is the fix/work-around.  Everytime I installed the network access manager, OneCare did not function properly.

From what I have read, the nForce drivers come packaged with NVIDIA's Active Armor Firewall.  This firewall integrates into the Microsoft TCP Chimney Architecture which then offloads all firewall characteristics to the NVIDIA chipset instead of the OS, or OneCare in our case.  While I agree that this is a very nice feature since it does not utilize the cpu to process the firewall rules, there is no way to turn it off in Vista other than removing it. (At least I didn't find a way)

I hope this will help everyone having problems. 

Brian

Monday, December 3, 2007 11:56 AM
  • Brian,

How did you uninstall and delete these drivers? Everytime I do it, Vista brings them back automatically?
    Monday, December 3, 2007 12:39 PM
  •  james_cline_ wrote:
    Brian,

How did you uninstall and delete these drivers? Everytime I do it, Vista brings them back automatically?

Just go into Control Panel\Programs and Features and uninstall "NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager".  Reboot and you should be good to go.  Let me know if this does or does not workout for you.

Brian

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:43 PM
  • That worked! OneCare is now functioning! Awesome!

Is there any issues with not having nVidia's Network Access manager installed?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Monday, December 3, 2007 1:26 PM
  •  james_cline_ wrote:
    That worked! OneCare is now functioning! Awesome!

Is there any issues with not having nVidia's Network Access manager installed?

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim-

I am glad to hear that it worked for you! I wouldn't think having it un-installed would be an issue.  It is just an added layer of protection.  With Windows Live OneCare, you shouldn't need it.  Besides, all other network adapters do not come with it...

Take Care and glad to see your up a running-

Brian

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:30 PM
  • Thanks again, Brian.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Anytime Steve.  Glad I could be of help.

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:19 PM
  • You'll note that I just created an announcement for this. :-)

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsonecare/showpost.aspx?postid=2497220&siteid=2

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Just want to share that I've also uninstalled the Forceware software and the firewall is once again working beautifully.

Thanks Brian for the hard work here, it's much appreciated! Smile

-Kurtis

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:48 AM
  • I would also like to confirm for the benefit of any readers that this fix does in fact work.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Hi

I am the program manager in Microsoft, responsible for firewall.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the problems you have to go through and also for lack of update on this forum. Second, Kudos for all the people here who not only diagnosed the root cause but also have found a work around. Since this issue is related to having specific H/W, we would have had considerable difficulty reproducing and fixing the problem. I thank you.

Finally, we are in touch with NVidia and working with them to resolve this issue, so that you can have benefit of both software.

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:30 AM
  • I'm running the XFX 680i chipset as well! OneCare started doing exactly as described here. The Minute I uninstalled Nvidia Network Access Manager I recieved a Pop-up from OneCare asking to allow or dis-allow the uninstall of Network Access Manager lol.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:53 AM
  •  

Hi

Firstly I would like to thank everybody on here for very helpful answers to this.

But unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem, I wanted to team my network cards and I need the NV software running to do this, any ideas?

Thanks

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:25 AM
  • Is there an option for you to disable the firewall component of the NV Forceware software? I believe that this is the actual conflict.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:35 AM
  •  

Steve--

I agree with you that this may be the culprit, but I have not seen a way to disable it other than un-installing the NV Forceware software.

Brian

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:40 AM
  • I had problems with Vista 64 and Live OneCare 2.0, which got solved, when I installed the NFORCE Networking Controller drivers from August 2007, which are a better set of drivers, and those that come with Windows Vista, and did a registry edit, along with enabling RAID mode in the bios of my motherboard, to improve the performance of my system. I also added the DNS servers of my ISP, to my router to keep from getting bumped off the net, more than 3 times a week I had been blaming on OneCare 2.0.

I do have the ASUS P5N32-E SLI motherboard, which uses the 680i chipset.

It my seem strange to some people that the changes I made above fixed a lot of problems for me, including a stuttering problem I had in a game, but I figured heck, if this fixes a lot of issues I have, so be it.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Steve - I noticed that this thread, and your post, specifically state the 680i chipset.  I wanted to note that this issue, in my case, also affects the 650i chipset.  I have the EVGA nForce 650i Ultra 775 T1 which also exhibits this issue. 

Also of note, I installed the Vista SP1 RC1 before uninstalling the Nvidia Network Access Manager and still had issues with OneCare.  It was not until I uninstalled NAM that OneCare started working.

Just wanted to pass this along so that your announcement might also reflect the 650i chipset as well.

- Rich

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/16/2008, 08:46:25
           Machine name: E6750
       Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1, v.744 (6001.longhorn.080101-1935)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           System Model: NF66
                   BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6750  @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
                 Memory: 2046MB RAM
              Page File: 874MB used, 3455MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.17128 32bit Unicode
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
            Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
         Manufacturer: NVIDIA
            Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
             DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
           Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_042010DE&REV_A2
       Display Memory: 1051 MB
     Dedicated Memory: 284 MB
        Shared Memory: 767 MB
         Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
              Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
          Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
       Driver Version: 7.15.0011.6925 (English)
          DDI Version: 10
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
     Driver Date/Size: 12/11/2007 17:06:00, 5263360 bytes
          WHQL Logo'd: Yes
      WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-42D3-11CF-6368-2B2402C2CA35}
            Vendor ID: 0x10DE
            Device ID: 0x0193
            SubSys ID: 0x042010DE
          Revision ID: 0x00A2
          Revision ID: 0x00A2
          Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_B ModeWMV9_B ModeVC1_A ModeWMV9_A
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Thanks, Rich. I will update the announcement post.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:10 PM
  • I had the same issue and also have the Nvidia NForce 680i.  The OneCare Firewall repair tool did not work.  I uninstalled the Nvidia Network Access Manager and that solved the problem.  Hope that helps

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Hi Rich - I actually have the Nvidia Nforce 650i Ultra Chipset as well - same as you.  I fixed my OneCare problem but I'm recently having USB problems. NO USB devices will work at all.  Seems to be no issues wtih the USB devices in the Device manager.  I can't even get USB keyboard or mouse to work upon boot, even wtih USB keyboard and mouse enabled in the BIOS.  If anybody is having or has had these USB issues with this motherboard please let me know.  Thanks!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Vista has the problem, XP does not.

Thanks to all working on this.  I have a 680i chipset (EVGA) and have been fighting OneCare firewall problems.  And I've found that with Vista you have to remove the Nvidia ForceWare program.  I have an XP harddrive in the same machine (toggle on/off at bios Escape key) and the OneCare firewall works fine with the Nvidia Forceware piece in XP. 

I have found that without the Forceware piece Lan teaming doesn't work in Vista, so I've turned Lan Teaming off for now.  (Lan Teaming works fine with Forceware in XP.)  By the way, if you have Lan teaming eanbled when you uninstall Forceware, the system doesn't restore network connectivity on reboot.  You have to reinstall Forceware and turn Lan teaming off.

I noticed Evga is promoting a 780i motherboard now.  The search for perfection in an imperfect world?  Guess I'll buy one.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Not sure if this is any use to you but i was having similar problems. Would turn on my computer and onecare would not appear in my tray (is that the right word?) and when i clicked on it it just said "stopped, not working, restart or contact server, etc"

I did ALL of the things that have been discussed and i just wouldn't happen. However, i ran is an Administrator (i have vista) and it was sweet! no prob. Thats it!

Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:38 PM
  •  

Same situation for me... except I've spent over 5 hours letting several OneCare cust. service reps take over my computer to no avail.  Seeing these threads today gives me some hope that I can solve this myself.

For those Microsoft employees reviewing this thread, all I ask is that you ensure that the call center has this issue in their scripts to avoid customer dissatisfaction from continuously discussing the issue with various reps without resolution.  I've escalated to 'tier 2' several times and talked with managers several times to no avail.   Finally, the last manager indicated to me that this should be fixed in a new service pack for Onecare coming out within the next week (I'm assuming this is true). I'm going to try the fix listed in this thread, and once the update for OneCare comes out i'll try putting back in the nvidia forceware network access manager.

Cheers,

Andrew

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Hi, Andrew.

The patch is actually in release now, build .22. I've got 3 machines that have not gotten it yet, but the roll-out began last night.

-steve

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:44 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Hi, Andrew.

The patch is actually in release now, build .22. I've got 3 machines that have not gotten it yet, but the roll-out began last night.

-steve

Steve-

Thanks for the update on the build.  I have it and will check it out to see how it works for me.

Will let all know...

Brian

Saturday, February 2, 2008 5:54 AM
  • Steve-

I re-installed the NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager and OneCare was not able to turn on the Firewall again.

Summary:

Re-install NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager (nforce_winvista32_15.08_english.exe)

received OneCare Firewall stopped working and was closed as soon as drivers were installed

tried to turn on the firewall through OneCare to no avail

Reboot PC

received OneCare Firewall stopped working and was closed

tried to turn on the firewall through OneCare to no avail

Un-installed NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager and OneCare immediately went green and the OneCare firewall was enabled.

I am running OneCare version 2.0.2500.22 with Firewall Policy version 1.2.30.118

Are you sure the patch is in this build?

Brian

Saturday, February 2, 2008 7:13 AM
  • Just so we know that it's not just one person... Same thing happened for me... same versions Brian has mentioned.  I've disabled the onecare firewall in favour of windows firewall as i'm a little uncomfortable disabling NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager given that i'm not sure what else might be impacted by disabling that Access Manager.

Hopefully, Steve can confirm an ETA for the fix to be included in another rollout.  My OneCare subscription expires this month and I'd hate to have to give it up since I have a ton of reasons why I want to to stick with Microsoft products, so hopefully a fix is coming soon.

Cheers,

Andrew

Saturday, February 2, 2008 5:12 PM
  • What Is the fix I'm tired of reading these threds,, have been at this for 5 hours and nothing seems to work.

I think threds should be posted latiest first

I payed for sub and expect it to work

Problem occured after last update

is there something that can be rolled back to have it work what

tired of reading all the thinge that don't work(and trying them ) what works

Saturday, February 2, 2008 11:47 PM
  • Steve,

Could not turn on my firewall any way I tried.  I have Windows Live OneCare on a XPsp2 system.  Downloaded tool and ran.  Error code 1603 came up and the install would not finish.

Rebooted. Error msg came up that there was a conflict with a printer (Lexmark) that was installed on a network and it was removed.

I then reran the firewall tool.  It ran through okey with an end message that the firewall was repaired.

Rebooted,  All is fine. 

I was impressed by the fact that the error was identified and taken care of. 

Just wanted you to know,

Thanks for the post,

Armon

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:06 AM
  • Some days I'm sure of anything any longer. :-)

Apparently this is not in the current patch update.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:02 PM
  • I too have run into this problem and have a 680i motherboard.  The fix did not work for me. 

FWIW

Don

Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:28 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem with my quad core 680i mobo -brand new Alienware pc.  The proposed fix did not work for me.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:07 PM
  •  Donatell0 wrote:
    I am experiencing the same problem with my quad core 680i mobo -brand new Alienware pc.  The proposed fix did not work for me.

Are you referring to this fix?

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2497220&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Seems we all have the same motherboard but I didnt have this problem till I put a new duel core pross. in my pc.It was a amd 6400+ and I put a new graphics card in,ati 1650 and this was only done on feb.1st.

Monday, February 11, 2008 11:41 PM
  •  

omg i fixed it... i have the same motherboard as you the 680i. go into your control panel and go to uninstall a program. If you see an Nvidia ForceWare Network Acess thing. Uninstall it, i did and now my pc is in good condition and the one care firewall pop up is gone. For everyone who has a 680i motherboard do this! It will indeed fix your comp.

Your Welcome, madgamer7292

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:56 AM
  •  madgamer7292 wrote:

omg i fixed it... i have the same motherboard as you the 680i. go into your control panel and go to uninstall a program. If you see an Nvidia ForceWare Network Acess thing. Uninstall it, i did and now my pc is in good condition and the one care firewall pop up is gone. For everyone who has a 680i motherboard do this! It will indeed fix your comp.

Omg Mark II,

It fixed it for me as well. I have a EVGA 680i motherboard and installed, got rid of, re-installed OneCar to no avail and with the FIrewall msg always coming up and as soon as I rebooted after getting rif of the Nvidia ForceWare Network Access software OneCare came up Green without me doing a thing to it. I'm impressed after days and days of issues.

THANKS GUYS!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:56 PM
  • I have an evga nforce780i sli motherboard and had all the same problems until I uninstalled the Nvidia Forceware Network Access. Now everything works well

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:32 AM
  • I find it remarkable, the persistence and dedication to this problems resolve. I thank everyone who experienced and shared their knowledge, giving me the benefit of your findings. I had the 680i problem as well or i should say i did. Much appreciation.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:40 AM
  • My Windows Live OneCare has stopped working, randomly. I am very upset and I do not know what to do. None of my programs come up when I first turn my computer on. My other virus scanners are not working. Everything has gone to shambles. Can anyone help?

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:35 AM
  •  stephielou wrote:

My Windows Live OneCare has stopped working, randomly. I am very upset and I do not know what to do. None of my programs come up when I first turn my computer on. My other virus scanners are not working. Everything has gone to shambles. Can anyone help?

If you are running OneCare, there should not be any other security software installed and active - no antivirus programs, no firewalls, and no antispyware programs that provide real time protection. These will conflict with OneCare ad may be the cause of your problems.

You can contact support for help - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Sunday, March 30, 2008 1:56 PM
  • I don't think it has to do with which M/Bard you have but the fact you have nVidia Forceware Network Access installed.
    After several Hair pulling attempts and run arounds with Microsoft I finally ran across this thread and un-installed it.
    Now Onecare works great!
    I guess whatever Network settings are in the program conflict with Onecare.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:13 AM
  •  Kentuckyranger wrote:
    I don't think it has to do with which M/Bard you have but the fact you have nVidia Forceware Network Access installed.
    After several Hair pulling attempts and run arounds with Microsoft I finally ran across this thread and un-installed it.
    Now Onecare works great!
    I guess whatever Network settings are in the program conflict with Onecare.

Yes, it is the firewall that is installed as part of the Forceware Network Access driver/software, apparently, that is the problem.

-steve

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Un-installing it doesn't hurt my network and as far as installing it, I figured it was just a simple update.
    Since getting Onecare up and running I really like its very small Footprint on system resorces.
    Even while it's doing a Virus scan I can easily rum multiple programs with no slow downs.
    I used to have AVG and even though it claimed to not consume allot of system resorces I had trouble running programs while it was scanning.
    Anyway, it's working very well in Vista Ultimate 64bit and I'm happy.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 1:45 AM
  • I have a brand new ASUS Striker II and the Forceware was installed off the drivers DVD

un-installed it....all is well on the One Care front....sometimes it's not easy getting green

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Hmm, interesting.

I know I'm late to the party here, but over the last couple of days I've had exactly this problem on an Alienware PC which uses the EVGA Mobo.

Having updated the Forceware drivers (trying to resovle a BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error but that's another story!) the Onecare firewall stopped working.

I searched the KB at support.microsoft.com and tried removing/reinstalling Onecare and using the Firewall repair/cleanup tool to no avail, so I logged a support case.   I've just received a boilerplate response that more or less tells me to "go away and look at the knowledgebase and/or newsgroups" despite me being very explicit on what I'd done that caused the error and mentioning specifically the Forceware driver bundle.

NeerajGarg wrote:

Hi

I am the program manager in Microsoft, responsible for firewall.

// snip //

Finally, we are in touch with NVidia and working with them to resolve this issue, so that you can have benefit of both software.

Thanks,

So more than 6 months on, and the support desk don't seem to know about this known problem, I've just gone and searched the KB at support.microsoft.com and not found any related articles using "onecare, forceware, nforce" keywords.   And after 6 months of "talking to Nvidia" there's no way forward?

Kudos to the people on this forum for identifying the problem and fixing it, shame the Support Desk can't seem to find it's backside with both hands!  Looking forward to getting home and uninstalling the NVidia Active Armour component, I'm confident that will resolve at least one of my problems.

I'm extremely dissapointed and indeed angry that the Product Support people have been so ineffectual!  And Stephen if you read this post, it might be a good idea to get some sort of article added to the Knowledgebase so when the PSS people point customers at it, they can find it!

JC

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:52 AM
  • Thanks for your post, JC. I am surprised that this issue has not yet been worked out between nVidia and Microsoft, but support is aware of the conflict. It would seem that you ran into an uniformed tech, unfortunately. However, I'll pass on your suggestion to the support folks.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:35 PM
  •  

Steve,

Sadly the farce continues over the "official support" channels.    I have fixed the problem now, although I've not told the PSS people yet.

The most recent response I received on my ticket said:

"Unfortunately, I do not have the technical expertise to advice you on this issue. However, I would recommend you to contact our Customer Service team on [deleted phone #] where one of our support professional will be happy to assist you further. The lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. If you still have any more questions, please reply to this email. "

Bad English aside, It seems that the Support Desk people are totally incompetent, and sadly It's very difficult for me to phone the Customer Service team as I work 9-5:30 an hour's drive away from home during the week.   

Clearly there's no escalation process here for matters outside fo their capability, and more shocking is that this is a known problem to which a solution has been found.

I've asked for a name/address and contact details so I can submit a formal complaint. 

JC.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:33 AM
  • If you have a case number for support, posting here will get it noticed. In fact, I've alerted a number of people to this ongoing issue yesterday, including support management. There is an escalation process and the support people, for the most part, are quite good at what they do. However, as in any organization, some will be better than others. I'm sorry that your experience did not go well.
    If you prefer to email me, I can forward your complaint to support management for investigation.
    Email me at sboots@mvps.org , include "OneCare" in the subject to get past my spam filters, and include your forum nickname and the URL to this thread along with the support case ID within the message body.
    -steve
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:47 PM
  • I keep getting a mesg. that my computer is in danger. my firewall is not working.  what do I do.  Also does Microsoft offera FREE antivirus

Thank you

paula Miller

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:54 AM
  •  paula miller wrote:

I keep getting a mesg. that my computer is in danger. my firewall is not working.  what do I do.  Also does Microsoft offera FREE antivirus

Thank you

paula Miller

If you are using Windows Live OneCare which includes virus and spyware protection, but isn't free, try the following for your firewall problem:

Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

If that doesn't help, please contact support:

If you are not using OneCare, then you're off topic here. Microsoft does not provide free protection from viruses to install, but there is a free online scanner - http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:49 PM
  • I just thought i would put my 2 cents in on all you guys are going thru, I dont do computers for a living but im pretty good with them. I was having the same problem with the firewall as everyone else is describing but the difference is i have the 780i board instead of the 680i but the chipset drivers i think are the same but i could be wrong and might be, but i read your post and did nothing else as far as repair tools or anything, all i did was remove the network access manager and Onecare is now working fine with no problems at all to report. Thanks so much for your time and effort finally put a end to this nightmare. Ps if i miseplled thnigs eglinsh was not my best class. LOL 

Friday, September 12, 2008 12:15 AM
  • Hi, I don't know much about computers but I am desperate to a solution to fix my firewall.  It will not turn on and 'group policy' is preventing me from manually turning it on.  Please help me.  Angie
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 1:48 AM
  •  AngieWells wrote:
    Hi, I don't know much about computers but I am desperate to a solution to fix my firewall.  It will not turn on and 'group policy' is preventing me from manually turning it on.  Please help me.  Angie

If you are using Windows Live OneCare, the Windows firewall will be turned off by OneCare via a Group Policy rule.

If you are not using OneCare, you're off topic for this forum, but you can try this -

Start/Run - type "regedit" without the quotes, click OK

Delete these Registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\DomainProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\StandardProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

WARNING - editing the registry could cause your PC to be unusable.

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:26 PM
  • can someone help me i have the red football and it says my firewall is off i turned it back on seen all green but football still red help

Monday, September 29, 2008 10:35 PM
  •  skidboot wrote:

can someone help me i have the red football and it says my firewall is off i turned it back on seen all green but football still red help

Firewall repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

If that doesn't help, please contact support:

-steve

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:33 PM