Server Backup Failure RRS feed

• Question

The server backup failed again this morning (Incomplete) after running ok for a couple of days.  This time is says it had a problem with the D: partition.  The last time it failed it said it had a problem with the E: Partition.  I have nothing on the E: partition that I am backing up for now.

I suspect that there is something going on with the Client Backup for the P8Z58-V Pro/2600K/Mushkin SSD/WD Raptor system.  I don't always have it turned on at night to get the automatic backup.  Since it is my play/testing machine I really don't have anything on it that requires WHS backups.  I let WHS backup this machine yesterday (~6 AM) and Server failed the next morning when it tried to do a server backup @ 3 AM.  Again, maybe just a coincidence but I'm getting desperate.

I tried to rerun the Server Backup manually this morning and it "hung up or at least it was going to take forever before it failed" so I cancelled the backup.  I then un-checked the "Client Computer Backups" from the Customize Server Backup procedure and did a manual backup again.  This time it ran normally!  I don't know if the automatic backup will again start to fail on something else in a day or two but...it would appear that something is amoke wth WHS backup.

Nothing else appears to have a problem.  The Client machines all backup normally and I have never had a problem getting at data on the server.  I have run "Check and automatically repair" on all the partitions including the C: partition and no errors were found.  The last time when it had problems with the E: partition I removed the drive and ran WD's diagnostics program and it found no errors.  Any suggestions on what the #$%^ is going on would be appreciated.

• Edited by Ken429 Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:46 PM More information
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:25 PM

Answers

• Backup cleanup runs by default at 23.59 on Saturday so it should have run. You can run it manually in the Server Task Scheduler in Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Windows Server, Cleanup. I would be inclined to clean out and start again.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Monday, February 20, 2012 8:00 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Phil Harrison,

Just a follow up on the incomplete backup errors - It looks like clearing out the "Client Computers Backups Folder" did the trick.  The system has been running for a week and I have not had a problem.  It would be nice if I could make it repeat whatever happened to cause it to get screwed up but I don't have clue except the problem started as soon as I added my test system to the WHS backup schedule.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:09 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:09 AM

All replies

• Not getting much action on my on-going problem!  WHS 2011 experts where are you?

Anyway, I have been running for several days with the Server Backup ignoring the "Client Computer Backups" and have not had a reoccurance of the "Incomplete" Server Backup error.  That leads me to think I might have a corrupt "Client Computer Backups" folder.  Since I have not sold my sole to WHS 2011 for Client Backups and still also use Acronis to keep backups of all my critical stuff I can live with deleting and rebuilding from scratch the WHS Client Backups folder.  Is there anyway to clear out the files WHS has put in this folder so I can rule out the corrupt file issue? 

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:25 PM
  •  I have the same problem too.  The client backups work perfectly.  The server backup is a different story.  I originally thought my server backup disk was to full, so I upgraded from 1TB to a 2TB.  Since then, I can't get a server backup to complete without the warning message “Incomplete” . The server backup still fails in both manual and automatic modes.  I look at the logs and can't see any problems.  Oh by the way, those logs are crap to read, very hard to decipher.
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Have you run Chkdsk /r on all your disks? Are you using a USB 3.0 disk for server backup?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Phil Harrison,

This is a reply from Ken429.  Yes, I have checked all the partitions for errors, including the C:. This problem is a carryover from a previous thread I started on "WHS2011 Backup Time increased after an unexpected/unexplained error".   No, all of my 640GB Black WD drives are connected via an internal SATA cable.  Like I said somewhere along the way, WHS was doing it's thing with no issues until I started backing up my test machine.  I really think I have a corupt file in the "Client Computer Backups" folder.  Need to know how to clear out the above mentioned folder and start fresh Client backups to see if the issue returns. 

• Edited by Ken429 Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:44 PM
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:40 PM
  • I really think I have a corupt file in the "Client Computer Backups" folder.  Need to know how to clear out the above mentioned folder and start fresh Client backups to see if the issue returns. 
    You can do this one computer at a time in the Dashboard. Switch off Backups for a particular Client and you will be asked if you want to keep the old backups.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  Sounds like a plan but...I'm still waiting for WHS to "Clean up" the Client Computer Backups Folder.  It's been a couple of days and the size of the folder has not chnaged.  Is there a way to force the action?  Or better yet just clear it out to empty and start over!
    Monday, February 20, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Backup cleanup runs by default at 23.59 on Saturday so it should have run. You can run it manually in the Server Task Scheduler in Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Windows Server, Cleanup. I would be inclined to clean out and start again.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Monday, February 20, 2012 8:00 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Phil Harrison,

Thanks again, I'm getting a little smarter (with help).  Running the Task took it to zero GB.  I'll reinstate the Client Backup for one computer at a time and see where it goes.  Hopefully, I can avoid doing whatever I did that made WHS backup fail in the first place.  I'll let you know is a week or so if success is in hand.

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Phil Harrison,

Just a follow up on the incomplete backup errors - It looks like clearing out the "Client Computers Backups Folder" did the trick.  The system has been running for a week and I have not had a problem.  It would be nice if I could make it repeat whatever happened to cause it to get screwed up but I don't have clue except the problem started as soon as I added my test system to the WHS backup schedule.

• Marked as answer by Ken429 Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:09 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:09 AM