Crm 2011 mail router? Datbase sizing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

a live crm 2011 system and I have a couple of questions...

1:  If I configure the mail routing option, will the emails be stored in CRM database?  Or will they be pointers to exchange?  Trying to plan for database sizing after adding the router.

2: Does the outlook plugin work correctly without enabling the mail router?

thanks!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:54 PM

Answers

• Copies of emails are stored in the CRM database (along with their attachments) - the Email Router manages functionality related to sending & receiving as the CRM application itself doesn't include this ability. The actual emails are still maintained by Exchange. 

The Outlook component acts independently of the Email Router - it can be used to "decentralize" the email send/receive functionality if the router can't be installed in a given environment. Obviously in this scenario - Outlook for a user would need to be running for emails to flow in or out. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:13 PM

All replies

• Copies of emails are stored in the CRM database (along with their attachments) - the Email Router manages functionality related to sending & receiving as the CRM application itself doesn't include this ability. The actual emails are still maintained by Exchange. 

The Outlook component acts independently of the Email Router - it can be used to "decentralize" the email send/receive functionality if the router can't be installed in a given environment. Obviously in this scenario - Outlook for a user would need to be running for emails to flow in or out. 

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Excellent answers, thank you.. 

So to be clear, I can install and use the outlook plugin without doing any e-mail router set up at all?

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:35 PM