CRM 4.0 Outlook Issue RRS feed

• Question

• When going through the browser interface, I have no issues whatsoever. I just installed the Outlook plugin so I can have offline access to my crm info as well.

With the Outlook plugin, when I am in offline mode, I have no issues. I can load all the CRM pages and everything is working as expected.

HOWEVER, when I am in online mode, I cannot load any of the CRM pages. Instead, everytime I click on on of the CRM 'folders' (i.e. marketing, resource center, sales, etc..) Outlook attempts to download a .tmp file. The files names vary, but they follow this format: msoXXXX.tmp (XXXX being random capatilized characters). After either accepting the download or canceling it, I get a blank page in Outlook.

I am currently evaluating several CRM solutions to use at our company. While I would personally perfer a Microsoft solution, this issue is pretty significant. If anyone could help me resolve it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:46 PM

Answers

• I found the solution:

It seems that the Dynamics CRM add-in and the Outlook Connector for Hotmail don't play well together. After removing the Outlook Connector, everything works fine.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:12 PM

All replies

• Anyone can help on this please?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:29 PM
  • A couple things to check:

If you right click on the folder in Outlook and choose properties, you will see the url on the Homepage tab.  Enter that url into IE and make sure you can access that page.
    Is the behavior different if you run Outlook with elevated privileges.

Are the letters after MSO the same each time?
    What is the address of the blank page you get in Outlook?
    Can you view Advanced Find from the CRM menu or CRM toolbar?
    What if you choose a grid page (Cases, Accounts) instead of one of the nav pages?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Richard.

The links I copy from the Homepage tabs work when I run them in IE.

Are the letters after MSO the same each time? The letters and numbers after MSO are never the same.

What is the address of the blank page you get in Outlook? outlook:\\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Marketing for the marketing folder.

Can you view Advanced Find from the CRM menu or CRM toolbar? Click on the advanced find button intialy gives a runtime error. After clicking no on the debug prompt, the proper page successfully loads.

What if you choose a grid page (Cases, Accounts) instead of one of the nav pages? same result.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:26 PM
  • My guess, and this is just a guess, is that ActiveX controls are not being handled properly by the widows opened by Outlook and that is probably due to a security setting in one of the zones.  When you load up CRM pages in the offline mode, you are serving them up from your own computer, so we know that Outlook can hook into the IE process just fine.  Rarely are issues present in only Outlook and not ie, since the CRM pages are just served up inside Outlook, so the goal is to get the same issue in IE.

First I would delete all temporary internet files and settings
    Second I would move CRM to the Trusted Sites zone and disable all security for that zone so it is wide open
    Third I would manually remove the MSCRM Activex control from IE
    Confirm that when you open CRM in the web client, there are no Javascript errors and no popup errors, and that new windows (accounts, contacts, etc) open as expected with no address bar, no rightclickability
    Restart IE and Outlook and retest

Once you have a working solution, then starting building up your security in the Trusted Sites again to see exactly what breaks the connection.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:38 PM
  • I found the solution:

It seems that the Dynamics CRM add-in and the Outlook Connector for Hotmail don't play well together. After removing the Outlook Connector, everything works fine.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Glad to hear you solved the issue; I apologize for the wild goose chase.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I am having the same problem you were having.  However, I need Outlook Connector for my small business live accounts.  Won't removing it prevent those emails from flowing through to Outlook on my desktop.  Thanks.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 2:13 PM
  • It turns out that uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Outlook Connector will do the trick, you don't even have to recreate the Connector email accounts, they will resume working along with the CRM.

Alex
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 5:08 PM