OneCare Backup of External USB Disk RRS feed

• Question

•  I am attempting to backup my system that has files stored an external USB drive (which I also need to backup).  OneCare backups files on my internal drive but not the files on the external USB connected drive.  It has a drive letter and is permanently attached to my computer.

How do I backup the files on my external USB attached drive?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:22 PM

Answers

• OneCare cannot backup files *from* a USB or external drive, only internal drives. If you wish to back these files up, you will need to seek another solution. I use SyncToy to copy data from my external drive to another location for backup purposes. SyncToy is a free tool from Microsoft - http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/synctoybeta.aspx

(it isn't a beta, but it is also not officially supported)

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:11 PM

All replies

• OneCare cannot backup files *from* a USB or external drive, only internal drives. If you wish to back these files up, you will need to seek another solution. I use SyncToy to copy data from my external drive to another location for backup purposes. SyncToy is a free tool from Microsoft - http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/synctoybeta.aspx

(it isn't a beta, but it is also not officially supported)

-steve
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Verify that an external hard disk is connected to the computer.If you're using an external hard disk, make sure that the device is connected to your computer, and then click Start backup.

*Back up to an external hard disk: You can use an
    external hard disk to back up a single computer. Or, you can use it as a central backup device (The backup files are stored on a central device that all computers in a OneCare circle can use.) for all the computers in your OneCare circle (A small network of computers that share the same Windows Live OneCare subscription.).

To use an external hard disk drive as a central backup device, the drive must have a storage capacity of at least 25 gigabytes (GB).

© deauzif
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:15 PM
  • deauzif said:

Verify that an external hard disk is connected to the computer.If you're using an external hard disk, make sure that the device is connected to your computer, and then click Start backup.

© deauzif

This answer is valid for using an external drive to perform a backup *to* as the destination. The question was how to backup data that exists on an external drive. In effect, selecting the external drive as a source for data to be backed up from. That isn't possible with OneCare backup.
    -steve
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:43 PM